Chapter 1

Sitting on a worn out bar stool, the girl swirled the remaining ice in her drink around with her straw. She glanced up at the small television, propped up on the wall, her heart aching when she saw what the news was displaying. 

A picture of the winter soldier, warning people to keep a lookout for him. 

It had been months since she had last seen him. It broke her heart to have to leave him, but she hated all of the violence and fighting between the people who had become her family. She missed his touch, the way he smelled, his confusion with modern technology. 

With a sigh, she hopped off of her stool, leaving some cash to pay for what she had ordered. Her bus would be leaving soon, and she wanted to stay on the move for as long as possible. 

***

When she climbed onto the bus, she nearly grimaced when she smelled the scent of public transportation. She had become spoiled from all of the private, clean methods of transportation Tony had always provided her with during her time around him. 

When she came upon her seat, she discovered that she would be sitting next to someone. 

Great. She sarcastically thought to herself. Despite her displeasure, she plopped herself down next to the man. She couldn't see his face, as he was wearing a hat and appeared to be asleep. She only hoped that he wouldn't rest his head upon her shoulder. 

The man had remained asleep for the 2 and a half hour bus ride to the next location. She walked along with the other passengers as they got off of the bus, their movements as slow as a herd of sheep. 

(Y/n) had been on the run since the debate with the Sokovia accords. She couldn't pick sides as her father, Tony, and her best friend, Steve, argued over the right decision. She wanted to protect the man she loves, Bucky, but she didn't want to betray her father; so she left. She knew that Tony would have ways of finding her, he had been looking ever since she had left, but she remained on the run to avoid his efforts. 

She walked down a dank alleyway in an unfamiliar city, trying to find somewhere to settle for the night. She wouldn't turn her nose up at a cheap, sleazy motel to retire in. 

Her eyes remained glued to the ground as she walked, every once and a while looking up to observe her surroundings. She walked with her hands buried in her pockets, one hand gripping the can of mace she kept with her for protection which her father had gifted her when she turned 15. 

Her stomach twisted and her palms started to sweat as she heard footsteps behind her. She sped up as she walked, trying to get into a more populated area rather than an isolated alleyway. The footsteps behind her followed suit. The faster she walked, the faster the footsteps became. 

The person behind her broke out into a sprint to get closer to her. She pulled out her can of mace and sprayed it in the culprit's eyes once he got close to her. The man yelled in pain before refocusing and grabbing a syringe from his pocket. (Y/n) recognized the man from the bus; the one who had been sleeping next to her. She tried to fight him off, but was bested by the man; he was stronger than her. 

Her vision went fuzzy after he jabbed the syringe in her neck and injected her with whatever liquid was inside of it. He caught her as her weight gave out, preventing her from cracking her head on the pavement beneath her. He picked the petite girl up and draped her limp body over his shoulder, moving her to the next location.