Chapter 10

The scent of fresh baked gingerbread filled the room; (Y/n) went to explore. From the kitchen came the sound of laughter and chatter between a few people. Peeking her head around the corner, she spotted three people with their backs facing her.

"Dad?" she questioned. Her father turned around, his face lighting up as he saw her. She felt a longing in her heart as she saw him.

"Hey, baby! Steve is making cookies with us; he remembers his mom's recipe so we're making gingerbread from scratch," he said, gesturing for her to come closer. Steve and Bucky turned around to face her. She nearly cried when she saw their faces.

"Hey, kid. Wanna help?" Steve asked.

She gave her dad a tight side hug, answering, "I'd love to."

"C'mere, doll," Bucky said, grabbing her hand and leading her to the kitchen counter.

"Bucky," she greeted him with a grin.

He gave her a quick kiss on the forehead before letting Steve help her with the recipe. Before he could turn away, she grabbed his face in her hands, giving him a long kiss. He returned the kiss, wrapping his arms around her. After he pulled away, they stood in each other's embrace for a few minutes; she took deep breaths, memorizing the smell of him.

The three of them enjoyed each other's company and the joy that baking brought them when the girl began to feel dizzy.

"Are you okay, hon? You look grey," her father said, grabbing her arm. The other two men gathered around her, concern painting their faces.

"I'm f—" her words were cut off as she felt herself falling. When she opened her eyes, she saw nothing, only darkness.

"Hello?" she screamed. No answer. Her crying was cut off by a voice.

"Don't cry, darling," the voice cooed. She felt herself comforted by the sound, gravitating towards its direction. Her body pressed against the person's body; she could feel their warmth. She could smell them; it was Helmut. He wrapped his arms around her, embracing her in a hug; she buried her face in his neck.

As comforted as she was by his warmth, she suddenly felt it's absence; she was freezing. Then she felt a burning pain in her lower abdomen, as if someone was cutting her open. She reached her hands down to her stomach, feeling a hot sticky liquid covering her hands; she was sure it was blood.

"Helmut?" she called out to him, "Help, Helmut I'm bleeding," she cried. Her cries were drowned out by the fresh cries of an infant. Her head swam as a sudden flash of light strained her eyes.

"He's beautiful, darling. He has your eyes," Helmut cooed. His accent disappeared, turning into a New York accent.

"What are we gonna name him, Doll?"

"Buck?" She gasped. She looked up to see the only man she has ever loved more than anyone in the universe holding a baby boy; her child.

"Let's name him Anthony after your father. I think he'd love that," he said, ignoring her shock, "Do you wanna hold him?" he asked.

She held her arms out, watching as Bucky carefully lowered the child into her grasp. She waited for the weight of the baby to be put on her arms; instead, she felt nothing. In fact, she heard nothing either.

The only thing she heard was her own screams.

*****
(Y/n) shot up from the bed, sweat dripping down her back. Her screams had awoken Helmut who was now wiping the sleep from his eyes.

"What's wrong, Darling? Did you have a bad dream? Are you alright?" he bombarded her with questions.

"It's a boy," she answered, her body shaking.

"What?" He questioned, wiping the hair from her face, looking into her eyes.

"I'm going to get you some water," he said when she didn't respond, getting up and going into the kitchen.

Left alone with her thoughts, (Y/n) tried to remember the entirety of her dream. She saw him; her baby. He was beautiful and she'd felt such a strong connection to him, even when she didn't get the chance to hold him.

Maybe this baby is a blessing in disguise. Maybe everything will be alright.