│1│

My name is Scarlett Buchanan Barnes.

I am the Scarlett Soldier.

I am fifteen with brown hair and hazel eyes.

I am an experiment, a project, an assassin.

I am a part of HYDRA.

---⭑---⭑---⭑---

"Again."

I hit the punching bag again, making it swing harshly to the side.

"Again."

My hands began hurting. My knuckles became red and bruised as I punched it again with sweat rolling down my face.

"Good." My trainer said, "That's enough for today."

I was relieved, but my happiness didn't last long. I remembered that I was to receive a new target after training. I walked to the side of the room where my bag and water was. I took a big sip out of my water bottle. I was breathing heavily. I had been training for hours.

"Good work today soldier." He said and I stood up straight, not making eye contact.

"Thank you sir." I said, breathing heavily.

"You are dismissed. Go receive your assignment." He said, leaving the room before I could get another word out. I let out a heavy sigh. I hated getting assignments. It meant I was supposed to either kill someone or bring them back to HYDRA. I'm good at these things, but I hate it. But I've been in HYDRA long enough to know that it's better to comply, because if I don't, I get hurt.

I walked down the hallway, terrified. Images of my past assignments flashed across my mind.

John Grey--Male--38--Caucasian--Shield Agent. He was with his family when I killed him. No witnesses were allowed.

Avery Shearman--Female--54--African American--traitor. She was alone at her house. I made it look like a suicide.

Madison Brant--Female--12--Caucasion--Daughter of rogue HYDRA Agent--she knew too much. She was walking home with three of her friends. I killed all of them.

I remember every target, every single one of their expressions before I had to kill them. I held back tears, remembering all the times I had cried I would get punished.

Soldiers don't cry.

Soldiers don't cry

I knocked on my handler's office door. I don't know his name, I'm not allowed to know. All I know is that he was the head of the strike team that posed as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, but that was before they were exposed by Captain America.

"Come in." I heard him say through the door. I opened it, and walked in, but he wasn't my handler. It was a taller man with blonde hair, around thirty or forty years old. He was sitting at the desk, reading a file.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my handler was in here." I apologized, about to leave.

"No, No, stay here." He said. I came back into the room and positioned myself a few feet away from the desk. I straightened my back and kept my arms by my sides. I didn't make eye contact. "Your handler died in Lagos a couple days ago. I'm your new one."

He stood up, carrying the folder in his hand. My new handler towered over my short body. It was terrifying, but I stood there, frozen. I didn't say anything. My old handler punished me whenever I spoke without being spoken to. And the uncertainty of this new person scared me. I don't know him or what he has done.

"Here is your new target." He said handing me the file, "Bring him in. No witnesses."

-------------------------------------
HYDRA FILE 0562016

DATE OF BIRTH: March 10, 1917
PLACE OF BIRTH: BROOKLYN, NEW YORK

RACE: Caucasian
GENDER: Male
AGE: 99

Ninety-nine years old? Am I killing someone's grandpa?

HEIGHT: 6' 0''
HAIR: Brown
EYES: Blue

STATUS: Alive

-------------------------------------

"Who is it?" I asked, wanting to know what he would do if I spoke. I braced myself for him to hit me, but he didn't. He only stood there.

"You don't need to know that part of information." He answered.

How could I find him if I didn't know his name?

Don't ask questions

You know better

"You start your mission tomorrow morning. Dismissed."

"Thank you sir." I said, leaving the file on his desk. I walked back to my cell. It was small, but it was enough. I had a thin, green fleece blanket in the corner where I slept, and a small wooden stool in the opposite corner.

I thought about today.

My old handler died in Lagos.

Why am I not allowed to know the target's name?

I usually get stuck in my thoughts like this. It stresses me out and sometimes gets me into trouble, but it was nice to feel like I had disappeared from the world, even if it meant I was overthinking or stressing out. Then, my best and only friend, Will, barged into my room, breaking me out of my thoughts. The noise made me jump a little.

"My Goodness! Don't you knock?" I yelled.

"Sorry." He apologized, closing the door. "How was training?"

"Good." I said unconvincingly in a slightly higher pitch.

"That bad, huh? How many did he make you do?" He sat down besides me on the floor.

"Fifty sets of ten." I spoke close to a whisper. "Only took me an hour though."

"Hey, new record." He jokingly complimented, wrapping me in a soft hug that made me smile.

"Thanks. Did you meet the new handler?"

"Yeah, he's a lot nicer than the old one."

"I know. I asked a question and didn't get slapped."

"Wow really? Did you get your assignment?"

"Yeah, I got File 12281922."

"Hey, me too. We're on the same mission." I said happily. I liked going on missions with Will. We are a great team. Working together made things easier, more efficient, and a little more fun. I rarely ever had fun here in HYDRA.

"Do you know who it is?" Will asked curiously.

"No. Did he tell you?"

"No."

---⭑---⭑---⭑---

You like it? I'm trying lol, I know it's not amazing, but it will get better I promise.

Also I will be posting a new chapter every Monday, just because the last story I wrote was just me publishing a chapter whenever I felt like it and that was all jumbled and annoying so now I finally have a schedule :)

Ok so hope you all are enjoying it so far and if you are please please vote it. It really does mean the world to me. :))))