Chapter 8

8 - A Splash of Cold Water

  When he returned home, the worker's quarters had already been lit up with all the lights from the various homes, the smoke from cooking had already dispersed from the corridor, and the army of dishwashers that usually occupied the public sinks had already disappeared. Every neighbor had all closed their doors tightly, shutting out the cold and darkness, to comfortably enjoy the leisure time at night.

  Chen Yuanming's mood was quite relaxed. He was covered in sweat from walking all the way and his stomach was growling from hunger, but the money by his chest was real, letting him feel at ease. This time, he will hand in part of the money to the family to supplement the family income, and the other part will be used as capital for him to try and invest in other businesses...

  When he pushed open the door, he was just about to greet his family, but he only saw his father, Chen Jianhua, sitting on the bed with his hands clasped and his eyebrows knit tightly, glaring at the him who had walked through the door. The table and chairs in the small room had been left completely clean and empty, seeming as if there had been no intention of leaving a meal for him, and his mother, Wang Juan, was standing beside the bed with a rather anxious expression on her face, looking like she had been worrying endlessly about something.

  What had happened?

  Before he even had a chance to open his mouth, the man opposite of him had already said sharply, "Where did you go today?"

  Chen Yuanming was slightly seized with panic, "I went to Auntie Liu's house, and Sun Lang and I..."

  "Auntie Liu's house?" Impolitely interrupting his son's words, Chen Jianhua stood up and walked to Chen Yuanming's side in a few steps, "I don't think so! Does Auntie Liu live at the municipal committee compound?"

  Ah. Chen Yuanming instantly understood that perhaps his parents already knew of the matter of him selling things. The first time, he had gone to the department store in the old city district. It was in the east of the city, and was half a district away from the bearing factory. They had also sold out really quickly, and likely hadn't been encountered by any acquaintances. However, it was difficult to say the same for the municipal committee family quarters. Some of the higher-ups at the factory also had spouses who worked for the municipal government, and he couldn't say for certain whether he'd been seen by any of the people he knew. But what's the matter with that?

  Chen Yuanming pulled out a smile, "No, I went over to the municipal committee compound with Sun Lang to sell stuff. Auntie Liu had knitted some gloves, and I helped her..."

  "What do you mean you helped her!" Chen Jianhua roared , "How fucking old are you?! Liu Yun actually dared to let you go sell things, how could she be so shameless?! Didn't you go to her house to study? So this is what you studied? Have you become ready to spread your wings already, daring to cause trouble in that aspect?! "

  Being rendered speechless by these words, Chen Yuanming frowned slightly, "Father, you've misunderstood, Auntie Liu is doing a respectable business, I was only helping out..."

  "Respectable? If it were respectable, then why would she be buying and reselling for a profit?" Chen Jianhua was thoroughly angry, "What about purchasing from Shanghai, what about selling abroad? How would you ever be able to help her with anything?! If she doesn't want to have face anymore, our family still does [1]!"

  "Quiet down a little." Wang Juan had already walked over and closed the door. She anxiously looked out the window, "It's late at night, stop yelling, it would be embarrassing for the neighbours to hear."