Chapter 11

11 - Job Application

  In mid-April, the weather in Zhuhai was starting to warm up [1]. Nested in a small, low room, the ceiling fan whizzed around violently, but it couldn't shake away the restlessness and anxiety at the bottom of his heart. Ma Lei looked out of the door, in the storehouse 200 meters away, hundreds of TVs were stuffed in that storage area. Two trucks had already been sent out, but they just couldn't find a new driver. This was already the third day, and the next batch of goods would arrive within ten days. What should he use to make the repayment, and what should he use to continue to acquire goods?

  Just as he was lost in thought, there was a jingle outside the door, and a man came running in.

  "Big Bro, it's no good, I've searched everywhere outside the station, but there's no driver available!" The man's height couldn't be considered too tall, but he was short and sturdy, with muscles on his shoulders, a long scar on his face, and had an overall fierce appearance, "Well fuck [2]! All the drivers have been snatched up to go transport cars, from where are we supposed to find new people!"

  Ma Lei wiped his face with a hand, and beads of sweat as big as beans trickled down from his chin. He just knew it! The most popular thing in Zhuhai these years wasn't the smuggling business anymore, but it was selling cars. A factory price Volkswagen Santana driven from Shanghai back to here would be worth 60-70 000 dollars in income once it's arrived. If you could get your hands on an Audi from FAW fresh from the factory [3], that would be even more terrible, it's practically the same as fucking stealing money! Groups of experienced drivers had all been picked up and sent out to retrieve the goods, desperately transporting cars back to Zhuhai's car stalls, waiting for the moneybags and wealthy businessmen from across the country to come and pick their cars. No one has the time to help out with this kind of small-profit business.

  Looking at the boss's tangled expression, the man grinded his teeth, "Why don't I just go then, doing it ourselves might be more tiring, but it's better than having everything collect dust in the storehouse..."

  "You're an idiot!" Ma Lei opened his mouth and started scolding him, "Those are coloured TVs, they're very valuable, get it? If I let you drive on the provincial roads for a few days and it breaks, how am I supposed to pay for it?!"

  After being given a scolding, the person immediately scratched his head, "I haven't driven much, but Big Bro if you let me practice driving some more, I could still become an expert...... "

  "Scram! Stop acting like a fool with Laozi [4], it's irritating! "

  After quickly pacing around the room a little, Ma Lei couldn't hold it back anymore, and stomped his feet and clenched his teeth, "What if we find somewhere in the city to ship the goods, and just forget about trying to make the money this time!"

  The man became anxious when he heard, "Big Bro! What about the tens of thousands of dollars we could make in sales! It'll be the rainy season soon, who knows how many items are still coming up! Don't worry about it, I'll take a breather and go out to look again, I just don't believe that in such a big city like Zhuhai, we can't even find a reliable driver!"

  As the two people were talking, and there was a sudden sound of someone knocking on the door outside the courtyard. They instantly became vigilant, Ma Lei gave a meaningful glance, and the man ran to the door without saying a word. He took a look through the gap in the fence, and he was obviously stunned by what he saw, turning around to mouth some words.

  When he saw that it wasn't the police, Ma Lei immediately breathed a sigh of relief. Currently he still had a pile of smuggled goods in his yard, and getting caught wasn't a small matter. However, the expression on the other's face wasn't quite right, and he puckered his mouth to indicate for the scarface to start talking [5].