Chapter 10

10 - There's No Construction Without Destruction

  When he got up the next day, Chen Yuanming was unusually quiet. He didn't say anything and his expression was blank. Even Chen Jianhua, who was always crude and careless, found that there was something wrong.

  "Doudou, are you sick?" Wang Juan placed her hand on her son's forehead, "Is it because your studies have been too hectic lately? Later, Mom will get you some eggs to supplement..."

  As if the worries about money from last night didn't exist at all, her smile was still so warm, and her eyes were full of her care and expectations towards him. Chen Yuanming shook his head silently and lowered his eyes.

  He finally remembered. His uncle's youngest daughter, Wang Hui, her nickname was Yuanyuan [1]. A gloomy, untalkative little girl with slightly lame legs. In his previous life, he didn't have a very deep impression of his cousin, but they had only met a few times when visiting family during the holidays, and he vaguely remembered that she had injured her legs in an accident when she was younger. However, it had never occurred to him that if they had money at that time, then her legs could've been cured...

  Remembering these kinds of things is like a dried up water pouch. Without using force to squeeze and twist it, it would be impossible to squeeze out the things that you need. But if those things are really found again, then they'd often just be sad and bitter.

  In the days that had followed, why did his parents become increasingly indifferent towards each other, why did his aunts never come to visit them anymore, why did his uncle always treat his family with cold eyes... A pile of bad debts had made their family fall apart. He used to think that it was because his family had no money and they lacked vision, so they didn't want him to go to high school or college, and that they only wanted him to enter the factory workforce and achieve a secure employment [2]. He never would've thought that his parents had once hoped so eagerly that he'd succeed in his studies, that he'd excel in life.

  And in this life, he really could do it. He could go to the best high school in the city, and apply for one of the country's top universities. He wasn't a genius, but as long as he was willing to study hard, it wouldn't be difficult. But his family... Even if he could make money, a few thousands, tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands or millions, that kind of thing could only happen two or three years later, after he's stepped out of this closed-up city.

  Water from afar would never be able to quench near thirst.

  In the classroom, everyone was listening attentively, putting in all their efforts for the upcoming final exams. This would be their first chance at changing their destiny for this life. Chen Yuanming, however, only sat dully in his seat, looking at the word-filled notebook in front of him, at the date that was depicted over and over again.

  In fact, he had always known about how to take the shortcut. He had the experience, the skills, and most importantly, the foresight for it. However, in his subconscious, this plan had never been put down on paper. Just because of his desires, because of his heart full of hopes and expectations. For his second chance at life, why couldn't he have had a better life? A period of less worries, a childhood that would actually be valued by his parents, one full of pride. A less poverty-stricken, less embarrassing life, one in which he could experience what it's like to walk on the campus of a higher educational institute with dignity...

  Unfortunately, he couldn't achieve that anymore.

  "Chen Yuanming!"

  A sharp voice interrupted his thoughts. Chen Yuanming raised his head and only saw Teacher Han staring fiercely at him from the podium, her eyes full of disdain and anger.