VII.

Date: 1/3/2016
     Location: Midtown School of Science and Technology, Queens

          They were in their last class of the day. Flash sat a few tables up from Veronica, Peter, and Ned. She had gotten looks all day, whispers spreading over the school as to how she had learned to do what she did to Flash, and if she was really with Peter.

"So, Veronica," the teacher spoke, getting her attention. "We've heard rumors you and Flash got into it in the hallways before first period?"

She rested her elbows on the desk, folding her hands together and straightening her posture. "The rumors might be true, they might not."

The teacher walked over a bit. "So, first day of school, you've only been in the building, what, five minutes? First thing is you get into a fight? Are you actually here to learn, or are you just here to pick fights with other students?"

She grinned slightly. "I don't know, sir. Why don't you keep asking me these questions and we'll see what I can do, hmm?"

He paced slightly. "What percentage of the earth is covered by water?"

"About 71%."

"What theory did Darwin think of the origin of species?"

"Natural selection suggests that species will adapt to what is best suited for their environment."

"What makes up DNA?"

"Adenine, thymine, cytosine, and guanine," she spoke effortlessly. "What is this, the sixth grade?"

"Fine, what is pollination from birds called?"

"Hmmm...ornithophily, right?"

The teacher groaned. "Fine, you win."

She smiled. "Thank you."

He turned around and Peter looked over at her. "He...He really asked you what makes up DNA? I learned that in like...like the fifth grade." She shrugged.

"Alright, today we'll be watching a video on the science and evolution behind the chemistry of weaponry and gunpowder."

Veronica swallowed slightly, pushing the ends of her nails into the skin on her thighs through her leggings. The video opened to a war scene, bombs exploding and guns going off. She looked into the video screen staying as still and calm as she could. She pressed her nails in deeper; she could feel the skin breaking but it wasn't enough. She formed a fist, squeezing it tighter and tighter, the video moving on to talk about how gunpowder was created, and what all it has done; good and bad.
          Peter looked over at her slightly, his eyes slanting down as he looked at her face, the girl biting the inside of her cheek. "Hey," he whispered slightly, the girl shifting in her seat and jumping slightly. "What...What's wrong?"

She shook her head and faked a smile. "I'm fine, Peter..." They looked back at the screen.

"One of our most recent threats is the alleged 'Angel of Death'', who was notorious for killing male government officials in different countries around the world. The CIA was saying she was the youngest assassin they know of and studied, but they believe she died in her last bombing in Venice, Italy of a congressman who had ordered a hit on his own wife and child. The real question remains is was she a villain, or was she really an Angel of Death?"

          She softened her eyes and looked down, digging the nails deeper. Peter looked down at her hands, the skin breaking on her palm and blood dripping out. He reached out and grabbed them slowly and carefully, unfolding her palms. "It isn't your fault," he whispered so no one would hear. "Please...Please don't hurt yourself, okay?"

She nodded sadly and he continued to grip her hands, tapping his foot repeatedly on the floor, waiting for the bell to ring. He looked at the clock on the wall, the second it hit the twelve at the top the bell rang and he jumped up, grabbing her hand and his bag and dragging her out the door and down the halls.

"P-Peter slow down," she giggled, panting, Peter throwing the doors open.

He turned around to look at her before turning back to the front and leading her out the gate. "I'm taking you to do my after-school routine until it's time for practice."

"The decathlon team?" she asked, to which he nodded before turning around to face her, pulling the mask over his face.

          He wrapped his arm around her waist. "Hold on."

"Wha-why?"

Suddenly, he shot a web into the air, grabbing it and jumping off, swinging between buildings as Veronica wrapped her hands around his neck. "Peter!" she squealed, and he laughed. "Where was the heads up?!"

"I though 'hold on' would be enough!" he yelled, cars honking behind them, the girl burying her head into his shoulder. He swung into an alleyway and planted his feet on the ground, the two stopping as Veronica backed away, smiling a bit.  "I've got to put my suit on," he told her. "So no one finds out, you know?"

She nodded, turning around. "Yeah."

He began pulling his shirt over his head and then stopped, pulling it back down. "I almost forgot! We've got to go to Delmar's."

"Delmar's?" she asked.

He pulled his mask off, a smile on his face. "He's got the best sandwiches in Queens."

...

           The two sat on the side of a building, Peter wearing his mask but pulled it up over his mouth so he could eat his sandwich, Veronica next to him looking out over the tops of the city buildings. She took a bite of her sandwich. "These are like the best sandwiches I've ever had."

He laughed and looked over. "Before we have to leave, I don't know that much about you, you know?"

She nodded. "Yeah, we just met like a two days ago. I don't know much about you either, Peter Parker."

"Alright," he smiled. "What is your favorite food?"

"This sandwich right here," she spoke, looking at Peter's masked face. "HYDRA didn't make the best food, you know." He nodded, looking down awkwardly. "Alright, my turn. What is your favorite color?"

"Red. I mean, it's MY color," he pointed to his suit. "I'm kinda obligated to like this color."

She laughed a little. "Mine's green. Don't know why, it just is."

"Green's nice," he smiled. "Favorite animal?"

"Definitely like...like a wolf," she thought for a second. "Yeah, a wolf." She pulled the sleeves over her hands, getting cold as the wind blew. "Biggest fear?"

He looked up towards the sky for a moment, not taking. "Losing May, or doing something to hurt her. When I lost my parents, she...she dropped everything to take care of me, you know? And if I was to hurt or lose her..." he shook his head. "I-I wouldn't have anything left."

She turned to face him. "You won't ever lose her, Peter. I promise you. And...And family doesn't just end with blood," she smiled, taking his hand in her's. "It's those who'd do anything for you."

He grinned, looking up to face her. "Yeah...Yeah it is."

The two looked into each other's eyes for what felt like a millennium. It was like they were waiting for one or the other to lean forward and kiss, but they just stared.

"Uhm..." Peter cleared his throat. "We...We better head back to the school for-for practice..."

She let go of his hand, turning away. "Y-Yeah."