XXXVIII.

Date: 09/20/2023
Location: The Avengers Compound, Manhattan

Veronica stood outside the glass room, watching Tony, Rocket, and Hulk assemble the new gauntlet. The stones glowed as Tony used hand commandments to piece each stone into the designated rivets. 

"It's quite riveting," a voice spoke behind her. "Watching them slowly move the little robot arms to put each individual stone into each individual cutout. Nothing else I'd rather do with my time."

She turned around to look at the man. Loki's hair was tied back, his long sleeves pushed back up to his elbows as his arms were crossed over his chest. "It's boring, I know. But it could bring them all back. Everyone."

Loki sucked in a breath, uncrossing his arms and sticking his hands into the pockets of his pants. "Esme will be here for the battle. She wants to see her brothers again."

"Her brothers were blipped?"

He nodded. "Enzo and Nico. They were with us in the hospital when they blipped."

She narrowed her eyes. "Hospital? Loki, what the hell happened?"

"Esme and I have two kids. Twins. I was bringing the two of them back to meet them, and when I opened the door for us to step inside, nothing followed. Only dust."

Veronica looked up at him with soft eyes. "You had kids. What's their names?"

"Dior and Remi," he responded. "They're five now. We brought them to visit you when you were in your coma. They call you Roni."

She smiled. "I'd love to meet them. And Esme, of course." She looked down at his left hand, not seeing a ring. "Are you married?"

He shook his head. "Engaged. We didn't want to get married without Enzo, Nico, you, and the Parker kid there."

"Hey, chatty Kathy's," Tony spoke, the two looking over. "It's ready."

...

"The glove's ready," Rocket spoke. "The question is, who's gonna snap their freakin' fingers?"

"I'll do it," Thor spoke, sauntering over.  

Tony glared at him. "Excuse me?"

"It's okay-" Thor went to grab the gauntlet, but Steve, Clint, and Tony stopped him in a fit of arguing. 

"Thor, just wait," Steve spoke. "We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."

The God narrowed his eyes in. "I'm sorry. What, we're all just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?"

"We should at least discuss it," Scott responded.

Thor turned to face him, holding his hands out towards him. "Look, sitting here staring at the thing is not gonna bring everybody back." He sucked in a breath. "I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls upon me. This is my duty-"

Tony stepped forward, pushing Thor back. Normally you're right. It's not about that..."

Arguing came from the two, Thor aggressive and Tony just trying to get Thor to settle down. Veronica's mind stirred as she sat on the counter in the kitchen, arms crossed over her chest as she stared at the ground.

"I'll do it," she spoke after a second, the room going silent. She slid off the counter, looking up at them. "I'll do it."

Tony held a finger up at her. "Absolutely not."

She sighed. "Tony, I already have the Infinity Stones coursing through my veins right now. I'm less likely to get hurt, and I can sustain that energy for the fight and absorb it all."