XVII.

FIVE MONTHS LATER

     Date: 1/15/2017
     Location: Forest Hills, Queens

          Veronica rolled over in her bed, Elizabeth laying beside her asleep. Suddenly, the door flew open, Veronica jumping and sitting up quickly.

"Happy birthday to you," May sang, walking in with Peter behind her. "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to Veronica. Happy birthday to you."

She let out a laugh as May sat on the edge of the bed. "Really, May? You didn't have to."

May shook her head. "Of course I did. I mean, you did save my life-"

"Six months ago," Veronica giggled. "Plus, Peter helped. But, thank you."

May held over the plate, and just like on Peter's birthday there was a stack of pancakes with a candle on top. "Make your wish."

Veronica smiled and thought for a second before leaning over and blowing out the candles.

"What'd you wish for?" Peter asked her.

"Well, if I tell you it won't come true now, will it?" she asked, grinning sarcastically as she quoted his words from August.

He rolled his eyes jokingly. "Happy 17th birthday," he smirked.

"Jeez, 17," she groaned. "I'm old."

Elizabeth rubbed her eyes and sat up, giggling. "Yeah, you're old!"

Veronica smiled at her. "Good morning to you too."

May smiled, standing up. "Well, I've got to get groceries. You two have any plans?"

Peter's face had a smug expression on it. "I may have called Ned and MJ to come do some stuff with us."

May turned to look at Elizabeth. "You coming with me or going with Roni and Peter?"

The little girl grinned. "Can I go with you shopping?"

May gave her a smile. "Of course you can."

She smiled as May leaned forward and hugged Veronica, kissing her on the forehead before walking out of the room, Elizabeth following behind her carrying her teddy bear.

Peter looked at Veronica. "I told her not to."

She shook her head. "I enjoy it," she smiled. "Besides, I need a positive way to look at my birthday." She stood from the bed and put her arms around his neck, looking up at him. "You said we have plans? What exactly do I need to wear for these 'plans'?"

"Well," he kissed her on the cheek, "you don't have to dress up, necessarily, but I did tell Ned and MJ to not wear just jeans and a shirt."

She nodded suspiciously. "Well, I guess that means I'm wearing my new dress then."

"New dress?" he asked. "Have I even seen you in a dress before?"

She slapped his arm playfully. "It's a rare occurrence, so enjoy it."

...