XIII.

Date: 8/10/2016 Location: Forrest Hills, Queens

Veronica sat at the counter drinking coffee. It was early in the morning and she couldn't fall back asleep.

"Hey," Peter's voice spoke from the doorway of his room. "You okay?"

She nodded her head. "Can't sleep."

"Well, school is in a few hours, so you might wanna sleep," he told her. "Do...Do you want me to come lay with you?"

She looked up, a small smile forming on her face. "Well how could I say 'no' to that, birthday boy?"

He shook his head at her as she walked over to him, putting her arms around his neck and kissing him. "You didn't forget," he smiled.

"Of course not."

There was a small pattering of feet and Elizabeth walked out of her's and Veronica's room, rubbing her eyes, a teddy-bear dangling from the crook in her arm. "Roni, why are you awake?" she asked in a small voice.

Veronica leaned down in front of her. "I was just coming back, Lizzie," she smiled.

The girl grabbed her hand and Peter's, pulling them into the bedroom. Veronica and Peter laid down on the bed, Elizabeth between them snuggled into Veronica's chest, Peter's arm under her head.

Peter smiled at Veronica over the top of Elizabeth's head. "Goodnight," he whispered.

"Goodnight," she responded, closing her eyes.

TWO HOURS LATER

Veronica climbed out of the bed, May already in the kitchen making breakfast.

"Good morning," May greeted. "Did you three sleep well?"

She shook her head slightly, laughing. "I did, and based on Lizzie and Peter's current state I'd say so." She looked down at the plate of food May had; a stack of pancakes with a candle stuck in it.

"Wanna get him up for me?" she asked. "I'm going to be late if I don't leave soon."

She nodded. "Sure. Peter and I will make sure Lizzie gets to school, alright?"

May grinned. "You're a godsend, Roni. I swear."

Veronica shook her head. "You deserve a break. You've done so much for us; for me."

May pulled her into a hug, pulling away and kissing her on the forehead. "I'll see you later. Tell Peter I told him happy birthday."

"I will," she replied, May grabbing her purse and running out the door. The door shut and Veronica grabbed the plate of pancakes off the counter and lit the candle before heading into the bedroom where Peter's arms were wrapped around a sleeping Elizabeth. The girl bent down and kissed him on the cheek, then the forehead. "Peter, wake up," she whispered.

He opened his eyes and looked over at her. "Good morning," he whispered, his voice groggy with sleep. His eyes fell down to the plate she was holding. "What's this for?"

She smiled. "May had to leave but it's for your birthday," she replied. "Make a wish."

He leaned up carefully to not wake up Elizabeth and took the pancakes from her. He stared at the candle for a moment.

"Well?" she asked. "You going to make a wish?"

"How can I wish for anything when I've already got everything I've ever wanted?" he asked.

She rolled her eyes and laughed slightly. "You're cheesy, you know?"

"I counted on it," he smiled, kissing her on the cheek before looking back down at the candle, finally blowing it out.

"What'd you wish for?" she asked him.

"Well, if I told you it wouldn't happen. And I really want it to happen."

She rolled her eyes playfully and moved over to the other side of the bed, placing her hand on Elizabeth's arm and rubbing it gently. "Lizzie, wake up," she spoke quietly. The girl opened her eyes slightly before pulling her teddy bear over her head. "Come on, Lizzie, you've got school."

She moved the bear and sat up, looking between Peter and Veronica. "Can I wear my new dress for my first day?"

"If you get up now, because we'll be late."

Elizabeth jumped out of the bed and ran over to the closet, pulling out her dress before darting out of the room and to the bathroom to get dressed. Veronica looked over at Peter, a smile on her face, and leaned in, kissing him, syrup on his lips. She licked her lips, smirking at him. "Happy birthday."

Date: 8/10/2016
Location: Midtown School of Science and Technology, Queens

Veronica and Peter's fingers were laced together as they walked into the school, Elizabeth safely at her school in her new dress she wanted to wear so badly. They made their way down the halls to their locker where Veronica put in her combination, Ned coming up behind Peter.

"Join me in building my new LEGO Death Star," he spoke.

"What?!" Peter asked excitedly, turning around. A group of girls looked over at him rudely and he lowered his voice. "What?! How many pieces?"

"Four-thousand sixteen," Ned replied.

Veronica turned and looked at them confusingly, holding her books in her hand. "What's a 'LEGO Death Star'?"

Peter's jaw dropped looking at her. "I've been dating you since March and you don't know what Star Wars is?!"

She slanted her eyes and shook her head. "No...should I?"

Ned smacked Peter on the arm. "Star Wars binge party this weekend?"

Peter nodded his head. "We have to. I mean, it's Star Wars!"

Veronica shook her head slightly. "Come on, we've got home room-"

"YO! PENIS PARKER IS BACK!" Flash yelled. "And, shit, he's still got his hot girlfriend!"

Veronica groaned, turning around and looking at Flash. "Do you remember what happened the last time you did this, Flash?" she asked. Her eyes moved over to the other side of the lockers where a darker-skinned girl was leaning against them, holding a book in her hands and sketching the two of them. She hadn't seen her last year, but she looked back at Flash.

"Oh, come on baby, why are you with him?" Flash asked. "You could be with someone like me instead."

She scoffed. "Oh please. You have a baby face and a trust-fund from your daddy."

"At least I have a dad-" he whispered.

"What'd you just say?" she asked. He didn't respond and she moved closer to him. "I asked you, 'what did you say'?"

"I said 'at least I have a dad'," he replied. "You've got raging daddy issues, and Parker's is d-"

"Finish that sentence," she told him, "and see what happens."

"Parker's is dead," he spoke, loud and clear, a crowd around.

Veronica handed her books to Peter before walking up to Flash and punching him in the face, blood splattering against the lockers. She knelt down next to his face. "Say anything bad about my boyfriend again and the last image you see when you leave this earth will be my face." She wiped her hand on his jacket before standing back up and walking back to Peter and Ned, the crowd around them gasping, their phones out filming the fight.

Ned's mouth was agape. "Are you okay-?"

She nodded. "I'm fine, Ned." Her eyes met Peter's. "Are you okay?" she asked him.

He nodded his head slowly. "Y-Yeah I'm okay."

She smiled and took his hand in hers, taking back her books before they walked back down the hall to their home room class, Ned walking to the left of Veronica as people stood around helping Flash off the ground.