XVI.

Date: 8/14/2016
Location: Forest Hills, Queens.

Veronica and Peter climbed back into the window, blood on both of their hands.

"What the hell is going on?!" Ned yelled when the two were in the apartment. "I've got the news on and they're saying someone was killed-" he looked down at the pair's hands. "Why are you covered in blood?!"

"May was shot," Veronica told him. "Where's MJ and Elizabeth?"

"What? May was shot?!"

"I got the bullet out, she's gonna be fine," Veronica reassured him. "Hence the blood. Now, we've got to get down to the hospital. Where's MJ and Elizabeth?"

Ned's eyes were widened, but he pointed at the bedroom door, leading to Elizabeth's and Veronica's room. Veronica walked over to the door, placing her hand on the door knob and opening it, leaving a bloody handprint behind.

"Hey," Veronica spoke in a quiet voice. "Is Lizzie asleep?"

The little girl smirked and set up. "No," she giggled.

Veronica smiled, crossing her arms behind her back to hide the blood. "Can you let MJ get you ready while Peter and I clean up?"

She cocked her head to the side. "Where are we going?"

Veronica glanced over at MJ, who was now sitting up on the bed cross-legged. "To see May. She's at the hospital."

MJ widened her eyes slightly, but Elizabeth just climbed out of bed and walked into the kitchen.

MJ glanced at Veronica. "Is she okay?"

She nodded. "Y-Yeah, she'll be fine."

MJ shut the door behind her as she walked out, leaving Veronica standing in the middle of the room in her suit, blood smeared on both of her hands.

Veronica cleaned up quickly before pulling on some sweatpants and zipping a jacket over her chest, the girl looking in the mirror as she watched the tattoos on her arms disappear behind the dark fabric of the jacket. She pulled her hair back quickly before walking out of the room where Peter was now walking out of his, Elizabeth playing on her tablet as MJ and Ned stood at the kitchen counter.

"Alright, let's go," Peter told them, shoving his hands in his hoodie pockets.

Elizabeth stood up off of the couch and walked over to Veronica, who picked her up, carrying her out of the building, the group of five now walking in the cold to the subway station.

"Now will you answer our questions?" MJ asked as they stood waiting for the subway.

Veronica shrugged. "Sure, ask away."

"Okay, first question: which Avengers have you met?"

Peter looked over at Veronica. "All of them, except Hulk and Thor."

"You both met Black Widow?!" Ned asked excitedly.

Veronica nodded. "Well, yeah. She is my mom-"

"She's your mom?!" both of their friends exclaimed in surprise.

She shrugged. "According to my dad."

"Who's your dad?" Ned questioned.

"Bucky Barnes."

MJ widened her eyes yet again. "Your dad is Bucky Barnes? Like, as in, The Winter Soldier? The assassin-guy?"

Peter laughed slightly. "Yeah, he's her dad."

Ned thought for a second, the subway pulling up and the group stepping on, Elizabeth now sleeping peacefully on Veronica's shoulder. "Wait, you're from Russia too. Are you an assassin like your parents then?"