eleven

arcane; adj; secret, mysterious, understood only by few

IVY
-

My mother used to read me fairytales of princesses and dragons and magical fairy lands, they seemed so wonderful, so bright so cheery.

Until you realize what fairytales are.

They are societies hidden guide, they enforce gender norms on unsuspecting children about weak women being protected and saved by the strong man, they tell you you're only beautiful when you're wearing the sparkly dress and jeweled crown.

They tell you that you're no one unless you have a husband.

Weak.
Naive.

That's what they told me.

And I believed it, I believed that I truly could be no one unless I had a man around. They are sick and twisted lies covered neatly by pretty painted pictures and rolling meadows. I believed it purely because they made me, I was Naïve.

How foolish was I.

-

"Do you think they put horse meat in this bacon?" Jess said from the other end of the table, picking up the strange meat between her fingers and swaying it around. I audibly gagged at the action, i wouldn't be entirely surprised if they did.

"Ew put it down!" A blonde girl who's name was Riley screeched, her face twisting into disgust. Most of the girls in my cabin had issues with things, in their terms, icky.

I had sat myself down at the crowded cabin table, water bottles filled up the empty spaces as girls chattered at the end of the table. It was a cooler morning, the sun hidden behind the large clouds that filled the sky. Often times in the city i would look forward to the cool mornings where i could bundle up with a hot coffee, but here I just wanted the sun back.

I had no clue where Leo or Robyn were, but i wished i was eating with them.

I grabbed the water jug feeling the icy side as I poured some into my cup, sipping it once before putting it back down.

I sighed and stared in front of me, the trees were still and the wind had stopped for a brief moment, the ocean was calmer than usual, the rocky beach was still the same. I thought about my parents having to be alone together, and what the hell they'd do for two months without me. Not that we did much together at all anymore though. I wondered about the dinners they would have, alone or together? I guess I saw myself as the glue of the family, always asking to go out for dinner or to go on a city walk. I often got shut down, but it was always worth the try.

Lost in the wilderness and my own thoughts I didn't notice Lee sit next to me, her tray smacking down the table loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Woah!" I said, my eyes blinking fast. I shot my head towards her, taken aback by her sudden presence.