fourty six

cordolium;noun; heartache; heartfelt sorrow

IVY
-

"What?"

One word.

One word is all it took for me to realize what I had done.

"What do you mean?" He asked further, his eyes telling me a million different things.

I did the right thing.

Didn't I?

"I was going to tell you, please believe me on that one-" I said, the words spilling out like a stream. I stared at him as I spoke, hoping for some reaction in his eyes, oh god his eyes.

His eyes searched my face, scanning for some sense of relief.

Maybe he thought I was kidding, that I was getting back at him for everything he kept from me.

And that somehow made it worse.

"I didn't want you to think about it, I mean if you were going to think about it.

I continued speaking, hoping that if I spoke enough it would somehow patch up the massive gaping black hole I had just unleashed upon us.

"And phones, phones work and we can call and do anything, i'll do anything-" I rambled.

I bit down on my lip, sensing the metallic taste already.

"I have to go home, and i'm not coming back" I said, filling the obvious silence between us.

He stared at me, not a menacing stare, not one filled with anger.

Just an empty gaze.

He took a shallow breath in, his hands flat against the rough ground. "So what? You were just going to wait until you closed the fucking car door to tell me?" He asked, his jaw clenching as he spoke. The darkness surrounding us became more apparent as the mood of our conversation changed.

I winced at his words.

"I thought that maybe I could stay longer, I could convince them that I was fine. I just didnt want to ruin our time together" I said, my words morphing into each other as pure panic took over.

"You're not actually serious right?" He scoffed, sounding more appalled than mad.

"Why would I joke about this?"

"Why would you not tell me?" He asked back, his face dropping.

"I already told you, i'm sorry" I said, my words seeming less and less meaningful as I spewed them out.

He licked I his lips quickly before speaking once again. "There seems to be a lot of sorry's between us, most of which don't really mean shit anymore."

"Would you rather me not tell you at all?" I said, leaning up on my elbows to look at him.