thirty five

nepenthe;noun; something that can make you forget about grief or suffering

IVY
-

"The sky is so pretty tonight" I whispered into his neck. Feeling him chuckle beside me as I spoke.

I examined the bright twinkling lights, a small one shooting across the sky in a mere blink. Perhaps it was a plane, bringing smiling faces and warm hugs home for dinner, or perhaps it was a wish. A wish for a small girl leaning on her windowsill.

I couldn't bring myself to talk about what just happened, I coukdnt even believe I did what I did. Begging around him brought out another side of me, something better.

We were practically squished together, my head leaning deeply onto his shoulder, his arm wrapped around my waist.

"You say that everynight" He whispered back.

"And I mean it, every, single time. It's so wide, and vast and its seem far too much. Don't you ever just feel so small and insignificant? Like you're nothing but a tiny spec." I said, pouring to the sky. "somewhere out there," I sighed out.

"We don't even exist"

My words lingered like the smell of freshly baked bread, like starvation they hung in the air.

"My entire existence, every birthday, every christmas, every easter, every breath even. None of these things even matter, because we're nothing in the grand scheme of things, two little specs of nothingness."

He idled for a moment, not saying a single word. But before i could speak again he let out a loud echoing laugh.

"Yknow, sometimes your little rambles make sense, but this one is fucking insane. Of course we exist, i'm right here and you're next to me" He joked sarcastically, his voice getting deeper and deeper as the nighttime progressed.

He reached over, poking me in the forehead gently. "See, real"

I squinted my eyes shut as he poked me, "Was that seriously the only way to prove your depressing theory" I chuckled,

"It's just life Ivy, it'll end like everyone else's will."

I sighed, knowing exactly what he meant. He was right, in so many aspects, but I couldn't tell him that.

Did I want to be right, or did I want him to stay?

"You're right, of course it will be over. It all ends one day, whether it's illness or pure terrible luck. We'll all die, even I will! But I don't want to die dissatisfied, dissatisfied that I could've done more to make the days seem longer, to make more people smile." I said, looking at him softly through squinted eyes. He didn't look back, hell wasn't even sure if he was listening to me.

"Don't you think you could do more?" I asked rhetorically, not even sure what kind of response I was searching for.

"No" He quickly answered, dismissing the conversation as a whole.