three

Serein: noun; light and fine rain or mist

IVY
-

"You'll each get Three choices, make them wisely because these choices will determine the next two months here at camp," Steven said. He was an odd fellow. Wrapped in a coat I wondered why he wasn't burning alive.

Each camper was given a slip, a list of activities.

Tapping my pencil against my leg I chose carefully.

Going down the list was my favourite thing to do. I had done it so many times, but it felt so special to be given the choice.

Wakeboarding, No.
Sailing, Hmm definitely No.
Archery, Not after last year.

Next was high ropes, I sighed and checked off the box. I always hated heights, but if it was going to be my last year I needed to take more risks. My new, semi unreachable goal, was to face every fear I had ever placed upon myself.

Maybe besides spiders.

Perhaps it would make up for my lack of actual interests and hobbies, Since as long as I can remember sports and crafts and every interest in between never stuck with me.

I wondered why my parents never forced me to do anything.

My free time was spent on walks around the city, clinging on to any kind of nature there was.

I'd go to the occasional party or two, but it was never any fun. Teenagers rubbing up against each other and the smell of weed. I hated the entire idea of parties in general, while fun and a great way to introduce yourself to potentially lifelong friends, I had no desire.

Not to mention tripping over fences in an attempt to escape the police.

The only reason I went was to feel less alone, to feel content.

As creepy as it sounds I loved seeing people's houses, my classmates of multiple years. I always wondered what their backyard was like, Or if they had any pets. It was odd how many of us would never speak outside of school, our lives would never cross unless doing math equations at 8 am. Part of me felt bad that I never reached out, but when the bell rung all those thoughts vanished as I longed for the safety of my bedroom.

Usually, you would find me sat next to a dog or cat, or that one time with a snake.

Pets were better than people, and I had evidence to back that up.

I twirled a strand of hair around my finger slowly, reading down the list.

Kayaking, why not?

And lastly, my favourite, the one I chose every year without hesitation.

Baking.

Now I know it might sound lame, but the payoff was nice.

Between cupcakes and cookies, baking never disappointed.