thirty nine

psithurism;noun; the sound of the wind in the trees

Thank you dearly for 80k, never did I once think that my book would be read by that many people. From 600 reads in january to this amount now, I am beyond perplexed and thankful. Welcome new readers and old readers, thank you for loving Reece and Ivys story as much as I do <3

REECE:
-

Guilt.

That's all I felt.

The worst kind as well. Not just the emotion, the feeling. The throat clenching, eyes flickering, head pounding kind. And it was my fault to begin with, the guilt, the tears, the yelling, all of it. It was my fault that she regretted every time she opened up, every word that left her mouth. It was my fault that she couldn't even look at me without her eyes tearing up.

I had broken the already shattered ceramic that Ivy was, and glue only goes so far.

I didn't mean to hurt her, or to leave her there alone.

I also had no clue what to say to make things alright, maybe it was impossible to.

When my mother was alive and I found myself panicking, alone, afraid, all of the above, she'd place her hands on my shoulder and whisper "respirer profondément." I never knew what the second part meant until I grew up. All I heard was breathe.

(Breathe deeply)

And although I couldn't remember her voice, or the feeling of her hands on my shoulders, I wished in that moment someone would whisper it to me.

To breathe.

That's all I needed to do. Because maybe then I could explain myself, tell her that I never meant for her to figure out in that way. Maybe I could've told her how much he loved her, and how much it showed in his face.

Maybe I could've properly told her that she didn't give herself enough credit for the things she went through. Or that I loved her and I couldn't stomach the thought of her not loving me back.

Maybe I could've joked about how crazy the entire situation was, and that camp in movies wasn't anything close to what happened that summer.

But I didn't say any of that, I didn't even come close.

We sat in silence, taking in each other's lies and each other's broken truths. Our lives were entangled, twisted and layered, and not in the good way either.

I wished that Ivy would realize that she never had to forgive me for what I did, or perhaps what I didn't do. I wish forgiveness wasn't required, although sometimes its needed, but not all the time.

Before I could fall deeper into the pit I dug myself, she broke the silence between us.

"It's weird to think we would've met eventually. Y'know if marriage was ever an option for them." Ivy croaked out, her voice was full of emotion.