fourty two

heliopolia;noun; desire to stay in the sun; lover of sunlight

IVY
-

I woke up the next more like I always do on my birthday, blissfully unaware of it.

Because birthdays are the biggest let down the earth has to offer, I mean to begin with, they're not even holidays.

I had never liked them, from the dawn of time. For many reasons, but mostly because of the loneliness. I remember back in elementary school, everyone would have these extravagant birthday party's with cupcakes and fun games, and the entire class would attend. So of course I wanted one as well, but my birthday was in the depth of the summer, and well, no body showed up.

While that moment proved my distaste for the day, I don't think i've ever been a fan.

Every year i'd beg and beg my parents to do something small, but they wouldn't and i'd end up being the centre of attention, which was my worst nightmare. I didn't like the attention or the praise, the expectations crushed by reality and the longing for something better.

Birthdays were lonely, that's what they were. They opened holes in your heart for people who wouldn't be showing up, and people who should've. They were a tunnel towards missing your past self, and mourning your fleeting youth. They were a reminder to me that my life was passing by and I wasn't even living it.

And that year, the year I turned 17, that year would be different. Because i'd be older than my older sister, and that should never happen. That shouldn't even be possible, but it is, and it's one of the worst things to get through.

So maybe subconsciously, I just chose to forget it completely.

Lees plan was in full force when I arrived to the breakfast table. My legs were finally covered by grey sweatpants and my body was drowned out with a hoodie I had stolen from my dads closet.

My hair was tied up in a bun that was already falling off my head, and my eyes were barely open.

"Here's the thing, when I said every rule, I really only meant the fun ones." Lee explained, Reece's cracked phone in her hands as she scrolled on the camps website.

Robyn was half asleep on his folded arms, Leo was next to him, nursing a cup of water.

He just didn't know why it was happening, and I planned to keep it that way for the time being.

And as if my thoughts were manifestations, a noise startled me. I glanced to my right, up at him as he pulled out the chair next to me. His hair was messy and his eyes were nearly shut as he slumped down in the chair.

I tried to hide my smile, seeing him in that state always brought one to my face. It was both funny and cute, watching as he tried to wake himself up. He glanced over at me, noticing the smile on my lips. I watched as he shook he head and proceeded to yawn right after.