thirty seven

litost;noun; a state of agony and torment created by the sudden sight of one's own misery

Thank you so so so much for 59k! I would be nowhere without you all.

IVY
-

"Mum?"

My voice echoed through the small phone as I walked further and further away from Robyn. The noise of campers enjoying their breakfasts engulfing me as I walked closer to the banister on the side.

My mother paused on the other end, white noise filtered through from the background.

To say I was terrified would just be the beginning.

My mother never used my full name, never, not once. Maybe when at the doctors, or talking to the occasional relative. It was like a slap to the face to hear something like that.

"We have two rules in this family, You know this Ivory. Now tell me how many times have I have explained these two simple rules." Her voice was sharp, not missing a single beat between her words.

I stood there, dumbfounded to say the absolute least. My lips pressed in a straight line as I attempted to recall the rules she claimed to have explained. Although I blocked too much out, anything unimportant I blocked out from my memory.

"What are the rules." I asked calmly.

Silence.

"Don't pretend you don't hear me, that won't work with me" My mother's voice rang out startling me.

"I don't," I started, pausing for a brief second, "I don't remember the rules."

I gulped loudly, too loud. Gazing off into the distance as I gripped the small phone against my ear.

I tried to focus on Reece, how distant he seemed that night before.

"Respect, and honesty, and you've seemed to have forgotten both of them" She answered directly. interrupting my train of thought yet again.

"What?" I said, speaking into the speaker closely.

"Do you know how hard It is to reach you from here? You're gone for weeks upon end and you don't bother to call us! Last year you called every week, you jumped at the mere opportunity to hear our voices."

She was correct, I never did call. I never called because I was too busy having fun.

"Are you even listening to me? What's going on?" She demanded I winced at her volume, pulling the phone away from my ear as she spoke louder and louder.

"I didn't call I'm sorry, I uh, the phone was broken for a bit, no one could call" I lied.

She sighed, "That's not what I'm mad about Ivy"

I paused, once again dumbfounded.

"Then why are you mad?" I questioned, even more, confused than I was just seconds before.