Chapter 29

I just stared at the equipment in front of me. There was no way I would get myself anywhere without crashing. Then I remembered I had put Friday on my phone and quickly looked for it in the box.

My heart immediately broke when I pressed the 'on' button. '179 missed calls, 18 voicemails, 47 unread messages' my screen said.

Friday had to wait, I had to open these. 3 of the missed calls were from my uncle, he didn't leave a voicemail. Ned called me 7 times and left me one voicemail. Tears were rolling down my cheeks when I saw that the other 169 calls and 47 text messages came from Peter and that he left me 17 voicemails:

"Hey, Nat, I'm on my way back to New York. The internship was amazing! I can't wait to see you!"

"Hey, Nat, I'm calling you because you didn't read my texts. Where are you? I really want to see you."

"Nat, did I do something wrong? Ned said you weren't at school since I left. Is everything okay? Please call or text me."

"Nat, I'm really worried, please call me back."

"Natalie, hey, it's been two days, I'm really worried. Are you even alive? May wants to call the police. Please call me back... please..."

"Natalie, hey, it's Peter, again... I really don't know what to do." His voice broke. "Please text or call me... please..."

"God damn it..."

"Hey, I just want to know if you're alive, I have been back for five days now and we still haven't heard from you. I really want you to come back... please..."

"Natalie? Just come back."

"Natalie, I can't take this anymore, please call me! Please!"

"Hey, Natalie, it's Peter, again... May has called the police, she is really worried, and I'm really worried as well. The whole school thinks you're dead... Please don't be dead... Please..."

"Hey, it's Peter... again... please respond..."

"Call me."

"Text me."

"Call or text me, I don't care, just give me a sign of life."

"Natalie, I don't know if you are ever going to hear this, since you're not responding to any of my calls or texts, but I want you to know that I love you and I really want you to come back... So... please call me..."

"Natalie..." He was sobbing. "Please, I can't take this anymore... Call me..."

Ned's voicemail was short but clear: "Please call Peter back, he's really worried."

I opened Peter's texts. They were all the same as his voicemails. I felt terrible for getting myself into this situation and making him feel like he lost me. I still didn't know what I would tell him and what my excuse would be, but I couldn't keep him thinking I was dead.

Natalie

I'm alive

I'll explain later

I sighed, looking at my phone screen. I saw Peter getting online and reading the message. I quickly typed in something else and put the phone away.

Natalie

I love you too

I heard my phone buzzing as I put it down, but I wasn't ready to look at his messages yet, there were already way too many emotions running through my body.

"Friday?" I didn't realize my voice had broken down so badly.

"Miss Stark, I missed you. How can I assist you today?"

"I don't know, Friday. I fucked up really bad and I don't know what to do," I sobbed.

"Would you like me to call somebody?" Friday suggested.

I shook my head. "I don't think that is a great idea. Are you able to fly a helicopter?"

"I am," Friday spoke. "What would be your destination?"

I sighed, thinking about my options, which weren't a lot.

"The Stark Tower, please."

The helicopter started. I saw the roof of the submarine open up so I would be able to fly out. The sea was really calm and while flying back to New York, it gave me time to get my mind back in place and think about my plan.

I felt my phone buzzing; Peter was calling me. It broke me to press the red button. I regretted instantly, wishing I could talk to him. He was the one person that always made me feel better, made me laugh, made me feel like I belonged in this world. Peter didn't deserve to be treated like this. I needed to come up with a really good story when I got back.

 I needed to come up with a really good story when I got back