Chapter 40

Have you ever had that feeling when you just know you are going to die within a few seconds?

The first time I felt it was when I on the train getting a gun pointed at my head. But I survived. This time it felt different, like this was the real moment I was going to die.

Me and the rest of the decathlon team, except for MJ and Peter, were trapped in the elevator of the Washington Monument. We were almost at the top of the building, when some purple lasers came out of Ned's backpack and caused an explosion. The girls were screaming, and so was I. Ned threw his backpack on the floor, looking panicked.

"You brought a bomb in your bag?" I yelled, horrified.

"Oh my God, look at the ceiling," Flash mumbled.

I looked up, seeing there was some real damage visible.

"We are all going to die here," Abraham said, also looking at the ceiling.

The tour guide who was with us in the elevator tried to calm us down: "Guys, I know that was scary, but our safety systems are working. We're very safe in here."

I noticed her voice tremor. Abraham was right; we were so going to die in here.

The elevator started to shake even more when time past by. It was not going to take long before it would fall 555 feet down. The tour guide opened up a shutter in the ceiling, so we could climb out one by one. Mister Harrison gave everyone a hand to help them get through the hatch. Every second that passed I felt more and more scared. Ned put an arm around me to comfort me, as we watched the other people climbing out.

When it was Liz's turn, Flash's selfishness took over and shoved Liz out of his way and climbed up, holding the trophy we just won this afternoon. His aggressive movements caused the elevator to shake a few times. A shiver went down my body. I held on to Ned and his grip on my shoulder became tighter.

"Take my trophy," Flash said, as he handed the trophy to the security guards standing on the floor to help him get out.

"Are you Goddamn serious?" Liz yelled.

The elevator shook another time, it wasn't going to hold on very long.

Just when Flash was being pulled up by the guards, the elevator lost it and fell down with Liz, Ned, Mister Harrison and me still in it.

I screamed on top of my lungs. We all screamed on top of our lungs.

Well, this is where the story ends, I died during an elevator crash in the Washington Monument. Tragic.

Nah I'm just kidding, the almighty Natalie Stark doesn't get such a pathetic death, although I thought I did.

Suddenly, the elevator stopped falling. We didn't know why and certainly didn't stop screaming. Especially when the falling continued. Then it stopped again. A guy in a red and blue suit fell in, making the elevator fall down once again. The suit guy shot his spider-webs to the ceiling of the elevator shaft, leaned his feet against the remaining part of the elevator's ceiling and stopped the elevator from falling down.

He cleared his throat, making his voice sound a little deeper, like he always did when he was in his suit. "Hey, how you doing? Don't worry about it, I got you."

Ned let go of me and started to cheer.

"Hey, hey, hey, big guy, quit moving around," Spider-Man yelled.

"Sorry, sir, so sorry," Ned apologized.

Spider-Man pulled us all the way up to a level we could climb out. When we could, security guards moved the elevator doors away. Liz jumped out immediately, followed by Ned and mister Harrison. But when I tried to take a step forward, I felt the floor beneath me shake. Mister Harrison stook out his hand to catch me but failed. The piece of ceiling Spider-Man was leaning against broke, making the elevator crash down once again with me in it. Spider-Man reached out his hand but couldn't catch me in time, so he shot his webs which surrounded my wrist.

My entire body was in shock when I stopped falling. I couldn't scream or move anymore. The only thing I could do was looking into the eyes of the guy that was saving my life once again, for as far as that was possible because he was wearing a mask.

"You're okay," he said, while pulling me up.

"P...Peter..." I stumbled. It was the only word my mouth could produce.

He stopped moving for a split second.

"You're okay, I got you," he continued.

When he grabbed my hand, I finally felt a feeling of safety flowing through my body. The security guards helped me get on the floor, as I kept making scared noises. Ned grabbed me by my shoulders as I collapsed on the floor.

"Alright, is everyone okay?" Spider-Man asked.

I nodded and everyone around me kept silent.

Then his web broke, making him fall down. Everyone was in shock, except for Flash.

"Are you really friends with Peter Parker?" he yelled.

I gave him a deathly stare, before Ned helped me stand up again.

We were guided to the exit via the security staircase. So, when we finally got down, we were all extremely exhausted. Mister Harrison called all of our parents to ask if they could pick us up immediately. I expected a call including a speech about how to stay alive by my uncle Tony any minute when I sat down on a bench next to Ned, resting my head on his shoulder.

 I expected a call including a speech about how to stay alive by my uncle Tony any minute when I sat down on a bench next to Ned, resting my head on his shoulder