Chapter 45

While the Homecoming dance was getting closer, everyone started getting more and more excited. People were asking another on a date and went shopping for their outfits.

"Do you have a date already?" Ned asked me when he sat next to me in Physics class.

"MJ and I are going together," I said.

"MJ?" Ned looked confused.

I chuckled. "Michelle, she once said friends call her MJ, so I'm calling her MJ."

"Oh," Ned said. "So, you're going as friends or...?"

"As friends," I stated. "I'm not really into dating someone right now. I'm still not completely over Peter to be honest."

Ned kept silent.

"What about you?" I asked.

"Oh, I kind of wanted to ask you, to go as friends. But..."

"We can always turn it into a triple date," I said when I saw his face turning sad.

He smiled. "That would be nice."

"Why didn't you ask Peter? Or don't guys do such things?"

"No, Peter asked somebody else," Ned mumbled.

"Really? Who?"

Ned sighed. "Don't get mad, but he started to fancy this girl, Liz."

"Liz? Really?"

"I said, don't get mad."

"I'm not mad. I'm just..." What was I feeling? Maybe I was mad. Mad about the fact he stopped loving me and just hopped over to another girl. It made me feel depressed.

"Hey," Ned woke me out of my thoughts. "Do you have a dress already?"

I shook my head.

"Well, let's get you one that will make Peter regret choosing Liz over you.

After school, Ned and I walked into the direction of the train station to get ourselves to the mall. Peter suddenly walked next to us.

"Hey, Ned, are we going to continue building your Lego Death Star this afternoon?"

"Sorry man," Ned said. "But Natalie and I already made some other plans."

"Oh," Peter looked disappointed. "What plans?"

"We're going shopping," I said. "Do you want to come?"

I really hoped he would say yes, but he turned down the offer.

At the mall, we got ourselves into a really nice store. It had suits and dresses, so we both gathered some outfits and two fitting rooms next to each other.

First, I tried on a black, short, tight-fitting dress.

"Ready?" I said when I had it on.

"Born ready," Ned said and at the same time we shoved the curtains of our fitting rooms away.

Ned was wearing a blue blouse with a black and white striped blazer and some beige trousers.

"You look amazing," I said. "Now you only need a pink bowtie and a cowboy hat, and you're done."

His eyes widened. "I'm looking if they got some right now! You look amazing by the way. It's only a little bit..."

"Like I'm attending a funeral? Yeah, I know," I spoke. "I'm trying another one."

"Try the blue one, I think it will look gorgeous on you."

I closed the curtain and took off the black dress. When I looked at all of the dresses I had hanging in the fitting room, I chose to try on the pink one. It looked like a ballgown, only it came just over my knees. It was decorated with tiny white butterflies and it made me feel like a princess.

"Ready?" I heard Ned say.

I opened up the curtain, noticing Ned found his bow tie and his hat. "Howdy," I spoke.

He turned around, showing off his outfit.

"You look amazing," I said.

"Thank you, ma'am." Ned made a little bow. "But look at you, girl."

I twirled, making the skirt wave.

"Damn, if Peter isn't going to fall for you now, then I don't know what's wrong with his eyes."

I chuckled. "Thanks, but I'm trying on the other ones as well."

"Do whatever you feel, I'll wait here," Ned said while sitting down on a tiny sofa.

I tried on a red one which was a little bit too slutty, a white one which made me look like a bridesmaid, a green one which made me look like I belonged in a cartoon, and a yellow one which was just straight up ugly. I was almost ready to buy the pink dress, but decided to try on the last dress I brought into the fitting room; the blue one. It was a short dress, making it just above my knees. The skirt consisted of multiple layers, making it look puffy. As a whole, the dress looked simple, but fitted my body so well.

When I opened up the curtain, Ned immediately said: "This is the one."

I looked back at the mirror and the only thing I could do was agree with him.

At the cashier, I paid for both of our outfits. Ned didn't want me to, but I felt like I had to this for him. He had been there for me when I needed a friend, I needed to do something in return.

When I got home, I stowed my dress in my wardrobe, keeping it safe for the Homecoming dance. Although I wished I could go with Peter as my date, I was looking forward to dancing in my brand-new dress with my two friends.

 Although I wished I could go with Peter as my date, I was looking forward to dancing in my brand-new dress with my two friends