Chapter 36: Spilling the Beans

Kendra...

I knocked on the tall wooden door and waited for it to be answered. The thing was huge and shiny with the most beautiful carvings I have ever seen. Leave it to Iris to find a house with the most extravagant door. She and Alex had finally returned from their honeymoon a few days ago and they had invited me over to see their new house.

I looked down at my loose-fitting blouse and tight jeans, hoping that I looked presentable enough. Iris loved this blouse, she was the one that bought it for me. But she wasn't the one I was trying to impress.

Eli was going to be there, and this would be our first time in the same room with other people there since...

I felt a chill run up my back. The same chill I always felt when I thought about that night.

The past few weeks have been amazing. I had put all my worries aside and allowed myself to act on all the things I was feeling. And those actions were quite enjoyable.

Eli has been sneaking into my apartment almost every night and has been gone before Kyle woke up. We've been debating when and how we should tell him. Sneaking around was fun, but we both knew that soon enough Kyle would need to know.

The door to the house finally opened and Iris stood at the door grinning.

"Welcome to my home," she said, stepping aside to allow me in.

I stepped into the foyer of what might be the best house I've ever seen. The marbled floors, fancy paintings, winding staircase, and chandelier were something I didn't expect to see when coming here. But this was Iris after all and she did have access to a good bit of money thanks to Alex's family.

"It looks amazing in here," I complimented.

"I know, right?" She said, "And you haven't seen everything yet."

"If this is what the foyer looks like, I can't wait to see the rest."

"Well, let's go meet the guys in the kitchen to get a drink and officially start the tour."

"Ok," I answered, hoping she didn't see the smile that came on my face at the mention of the guys.

I looked down at myself again before following her to the kitchen.

Eli and Alex were at the shiny new island, with drinks in hand. They looked up when they heard us enter.

Eli's eyes were instantly on me, taking my body. Somebody liked what they saw.

"Hey boys," Iris waved, "Look who's here."

I simply smiled and waved, not trusting what might come out of my mouth at the sight of Eli.

I took the seat opposite him, knowing being far from him might be what's best for both of us. He definitely won't keep his hands to himself if I sat next to him.

"So, what have you been up to since we've been gone?" Alex asked.

"Nothing much. Same old stuff," I answered. "But this isn't about us, it's about you guys. How was The Bahamas?"

"It was amazing," Iris' eyes widened and she continued to tell stories of their time there.

It would be a lie if I said I heard everything she said. I was too busy stealing glances at Eli from across the island. My best friend was too into her story to notice anything.