Chapter 1: Meet Kendra Wright

Kendra....

"And my final question, are you ready for the upcoming midterm elections?"

I smiled at the older woman, recorder held high to catch her every word.

"The real question here is whether Kentucky is ready for their first female senator."

"You're that confident that you'll win the senate seat?" I asked

"I am," she nodded

"Your opponent might have something to say about that."

"Of course that old man will have something to say," she laughed "But on a serious note, Senator Martin has been great for the past eighteen years and has done a lot for the state. But it's time for someone new to step in with some fresh ideas. And I believe the people of Kentucky are on the same page as I am."

"Well, thank you so much for your time Governor Sanchez."

"No problem young lady," she smiled "And tell that boss of yours I said hello."

"Will do ma'am."

With that, the woman turned and made her way back to her friends. I breathed a sigh of relief, doing interviews were always nerve wrecking.

I was at a LGBTQ formal event in Washington, where many governors, senators and political officials came to show their support. Some of them were genuine in their support, the others just wanted to look good for the midterms next year. It was my first time at an event like this. My boss sent me here, wanting me to get more experience interviewing politicians.

I was living my dream of being a journalist, and I was happy. But things weren't always like this.

Being a teen mom was far from glamorous. After that unfortunate day with Anthony, my mother moved us to a whole other state and enrolled in a new high school. I had gotten the "poor you" look from everyone there. They all expected my life to be over, expected that I would become a statistic. But I wasn't having it, and neither was my mother. I graduated, albeit a year later than I was supposed to, with honors.

I attended New York University and studied journalism. Once I got my graduate degree, I started interning at a local newspaper. I was treated like crap, but I constantly told myself that I had to stick it out. Playing with my son and writing on my blog was what helped me through those tough days. It was actually my blog that gave me my first big job.

My blog was popular among teens who were interested in politics and activism, which was what I mostly wrote about. One of my fans happened to be the daughter of the owner of one of the top newspapers in Washington DC, the Cooper Chronicle. She mentioned my blog to her father and he checked it out himself. Next thing you know I was packing me and my son's things and moving to DC to be a writer for the newspaper.

We've been here about three months now, living in a comfortable apartment in Hillcrest, in the south of Washington.

"How did it go?" Iris asked walking up to me

Iris Flores was also a journalist and wrote for the newspaper. She had been working there for about a year and a half and was good at what she did. On my first day she said that she saw my potential and insisted she be my mentor. Now, she was more of a close friend.

"It went great," I answered

"See, it's not as hard as you think."

"It's still nerve wrecking though."

"I don't think that ever goes away," she said, putting back a little fear in me "So, what's next? Anyone else you want to interview?"

"No. I think I've spoken to everyone I need to."