Chapter 20: School Dance

Eli...

I sat in the driver's seat of my car and looked down at my outfit. Was a jacket and tie too much? Should I have worn a bowtie instead? Or no ties at all? I shouldn't be worried about how I looked for a sixth-grade dance. Though, the dance itself wasn't what was on my mind.

I've always wanted to know about Kendra's past and always sensed that Kyle's father was a hard topic to discuss. But what I heard yesterday, I was not expecting. He left her to raise a child on her own, all because he didn't want to put a dent in his family crest. And not only did he abandon her, but he also pays her money, to this day, to keep that boy a secret. I'm sure his politician father had a lot to play in this decision. Hell, he was probably the mastermind behind it all. But who does that? Who abandons their child because it will make them look bad?

But that piece of information wasn't all. Not only did this guy do her wrong, but he was also the reason why she had sworn to stay away from certain men.

Men like me.

Men who were heir to a billion-dollar company, and the continuation of that company being all in his hands.

As if I didn't have enough reasons to question my decision.

All my life I hid my name and who I was, in fear that someone would want to take advantage. I kept this a secret on first dates because I didn't want a woman interested in me because of who my father was. But never, in my life, has my family name been a reason someone wanted nothing to do with me.

I spent all night tossing and turning. What would she think of me once she finds out? Would I have no chance with her? The thought of her turning me down left a nasty feeling in my stomach. I never knew I wanted to be with her so badly until now.

I've only known her for a few months, we were friends at most. But she brought something into my life that I needed. Something I couldn't quite put my hand on. Whatever that thing was, I didn't want to part with it.

So, in the darkness of my bedroom, I made a plan. I would continue to keep who I really was a secret. I would do anything in my power to woo her, to show her that I was nothing like Kyle's father or any of those men she's sworn off of. Once she's head over heels in love with me, I'll tell her who I really am. She'll accept me, we'll get to be together and we'll live happily ever after. Sounds lame, I know, but what else am I supposed to do?

I looked at myself through the rearview mirror and smiled. It was time to start my plan. I grabbed my camera on the passenger's seat and got out of the car. Eventually, I stood in front of the gymnasium door. It doesn't look like it used to though. I don't know exactly how Kendra did it, but the door in front of me looked like the doors of a closet. More specifically, a large wooden wardrobe.

I opened the door and walked through an entryway that was lined with winter coats and wooden arches. I easily spot a few of my own that were on the racks. So this is what she needed it for. Once I entered the main area, I took in our hard work. I'm pretty sure my 6th-grade dance did not look like this.

Encircling the large room were fake trees covered in fake snow and twinkling lights. White, silver and blue balloons and flowers could be spotted in every little corner. On one side of the room were tables chairs covered with cloths of those same colors. It seemed to be the hang out spots for the parents. To top things off, in the center of our makeshift dance floor that was currently filled with kids, was a single, tall, metal lamp post that looked exactly like the one in the movie. I must admit, we did well.

I scanned the room, in search of the one person I really wanted to see. I spotted her in the far corner, next to the photoshoot area, also searching the room. She was wearing one of those flared out looking blue dresses. I'm a dude OK, I don't know what the correct name for it is. Whatever it is though, she looked beautiful in it. It didn't take long for her to spot me. Her face instantly lit up, and those little butterflies made its way to my stomach. She was actually happy to see me.