Chapter 24: The Kiss

Kendra...

The bang, hiss, and crackles of fireworks echoed around me. It thundered and roared to the point where the ground underneath my feet shook. I could hear the whistling in the distance as it shot up into the blackness.

But the DC night sky wasn't the only place fireworks were going off.

They were in my head, my chest, my stomach, my...nether regions.

Eli's lips moved slowly yet hungrily against mine. Those soft lips were taking me to cloud nine, and I was happily letting myself be led.

His big arms were under my coat and wrapped around my body, pulling me closer to his, leaving not an inch of space between us.

I can't remember the last time I was held like this, kissed like this. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever had.

My arms flew around his neck as I tiptoed to meet him, trying to make our bodies closer than they already were, as if it was possible. The burning in my body grew hotter and I could feel myself losing control. And for the first time since I was sixteen, I let go and let my body take control.

I opened my mouth and slipped my tongue out. He took it in, making contact with his own. I moved my body against him, and he mirrored the action. It didn't take long for his hands to start sliding lower down my back and rest on my backside. I should probably stop him, but I liked the way it felt. When he squeezed, in a way that was probably inappropriate for onlookers, and a whimper left my throat.

A small pit of embarrassment appeared in my stomach. I shouldn't be getting so easily worked up. The smile against my lips let me know that Eli enjoyed that he had that power.

I wasn't quite sure how long we were like that. It could have been a minute, or five. Whatever it was, I wanted it to be more.

He pulled away, his forehead now resting against mine. His lips were still oh so close that our panting breaths mixed.

"Want to get out of here?" He asked.

I may not have dated for a while, but I knew what those words meant. My brain said "Doing this may not be the best. Don't you think it's a little too quick?", but other parts of my body were all "Girl you better say yes!"

And I was about to when a scream from inside the building.

We reluctantly pulled away from each other.

"What was that?" Eli asked.

"Kinda sounded like Iris," I answered.

For a moment we forgot about what just happened, and quickly made our way inside to see what was going on. We were met with the sight on Alex, down on one knee, a black velvet box being held up to Iris.

"Oh my god," I whispered.

"Oh no he didn't," I heard Eli say.

Alex took in a breath, trying to calm himself for what could have been the most important speech of his life.

"When I was younger, I never thought love was something I would have. I spent my years sleeping around cause thought, 'why bother, this marriage and love thing isn't for me'. But Iris, the moment I met you at that bar, everything about my life changed..."

My eyes instantly went to Eli. That statement was true for us. Everything seemed to change the night we all met at the bar.

"From that night forward, you've made everything better. You've made me better."

"Oh babe," Iris gushed, a tear making its way down her cheek.

"I know this seems a bit rushed, but I can't wait any longer," he opened the box, revealing a ring with the biggest diamond I've ever seen. "Iris Flores, will you marry me?"