Chapter 33: A Blast From The Past

Kendra...

The last time I saw Anthony, he was sending me away. He was wearing jeans and a white T-shirt with those run-down sneakers that he loved so much, on his feet. His face was full of frustration, anger, and fear. That was the image that was stuck in my head for twelve years. The image that haunted me.

The man standing in front of me was different. For starters, he was a man. He had gotten taller, his muscles had grown. His jaw had somehow gotten sharper. That beard he so desperately wanted, had finally come in. He was keeping it low, but I'm sure he wanted it in its full-grown glory. The suit was well-tailored, it fit his body perfectly. The horrible sneakers were probably long gone and black dress shoes were in their place.

There was only one thing that seemed to match my last image. The fear. For what? I don't know. It doesn't really matter right now.

I've always wondered what it would be like to see home again. Where it would be, what I would feel. Things were not going how I expected. I had a whole speech ready. I was going to let all the angry words I've been holding in out, and let him feel as horrible as he made me feel. But now, I was frozen. I didn't know what to say or do. I didn't expect to feel the number of emotions I was feeling.

"Is that...?" Eli broke the silence, I was surprised he could tell who he was. Then again, my son did look a lot like his father.

"Yeah," I answered, not even looking at him.

The staring continued for a while, neither Anthony nor I making a move. Only then did I realize that a woman was standing next to him. She was in a blue sparkling dress that was snatched in at the waist. Her silky brunette hair was up in a tight bun. That face of hers was one I could never forget.

Andrea Lawson. She had a crush on Anthony too back in High School. She was pissed when she found out he was dating me, and she let it be known. Oh, she must have been so happy when I left.

She had turned to him and touched his shoulder, knocking him out of his trance. He turned to her and said something and then she turned in my direction. Unlike Anthony, she seemed pleased to me. Not sure why, we were never friends.

She grabbed onto Anthony's hand, leading him over to us. She hooked her arm around his and sashayed her way over. I could feel my heart speeding up in my chest.

Eli grabbed my hand. "Are you gonna be Ok?"

I finally looked up at Eli. The care alone in his eyes made me feel so much better.

"I'm good," I nodded at him, then turned back to the approaching couple.

Andrea had just noticed Eli and I's hands intertwined, and I saw the confidence in her smile and walk get smaller.

So that was why she was coming over. To rub the fact that she had Anthony now in my face.

"Kendra," Anthony said once they reached us.

"Anthony, hi," I said as calmly as I could.

"It's been a while."

"It has."

There was a few seconds of silence, neither of us knew what to say next.

"Kendra, it's good to finally see you after all these years," Andrea broke the silence, a large fake smile on her face.

"Good to see you too Andrea," I said, didn't bother to hide the attitude in it.

"And who's this?" She asked, looking at Eli.

"This is my...Eli. This is Eli," I said.

"Well nice to meet you, Eli," Andrea said.

"Nice to meet you both," Eli let go of my hand and shook theirs, his grip on Anthony's a little firmer. He wasted no time getting his hand back in mine.