Chapter 21: Christmas Dinner

Kendra...

I scanned the tiny living room for what seemed like the millionth time that hour alone.

Couch and red cushions on point? Check!

Matching red curtains ironed and hanged? Check!

Freshly cleaned red carpet? Check!

Christmas decorations up? Check!

Christmas tree up and lighting? Check!

Spotless floor? No check.

I quickly headed to the kitchen, grabbed the broom and scoop, and went back to the living room to sweep up those few colorful shreds and glitter that had fallen from the Christmas tree.

"That's the third time you've swept the house today Kendra. Give it a break," said my mother "Your arms are going to fall off if you keep sweeping."

Ah, my mother. Having her finally visit us here in Washington was the best thing ever. It's been hard not having her and the support that came along with her around. Kyle was particularly happy. His partner in crime, when it came to me, was finally here. That woman would let him do anything he wanted, as long as it didn't kill him. He knew that and used it against me all the time.

Our family finally felt whole again with her here.

"I can't just leave it like that mom," I replied

"Yes, you can. Nobody cares about the glitter on the floor. I'm sure you're the only one who would actually notice it."

"I don't care. It bothers me seeing it like that, so I need to sweep it up."

"Since when have you become a clean freak? You were never like that before."

"Yes, I was."

"Really?" She asked before raising her freshly drawn on brows, "Is this really about this Eli you invited to dinner?"

Eli had plans to have Christmas dinner with Mr. Cooper. But that was no longer an option because of some crazy sister and niece. He was gonna spend it with Alex, but when he found out Iris was going to be there, he was not down for being the third wheel. Not wanting him to spend his time alone, I invited him to come over.

"Eli? Why would this be about Eli?" I asked, sweeping the stuff into the scoop

"Maybe you're trying to impress him?"

"Impress him?" I forced a chuckle, "Why would I want to impress Eli? Why would a spotless well-decorated apartment impress him?"

"I don't know," she shrugged with a smile

She knew, she just didn't want to say it.

I was not trying to impress him. I just didn't want to have a guest over in a dirty house. I was just being a good host. That's what good hosts do right?

I headed back into the kitchen to throw the contents of the scoop into the bin. My mother followed.

"Who is this Eli anyway?" She asked

"I told you, mom, he's a friend from work," I said. I swear she's starting to lose her memory like every old person.

"Just a friend?"

"Yes mom, just a friend"

"The way you're cleaning this apartment makes me think otherwise."

"Mom!" I groaned and she laughed

"I sure do miss messing with you," she kissed my cheek and headed over to the oven, pulling out the finished chocolate cake

There was a knock on the door, and I took in a quick breath.