Chapter 26: Are You Ready?

Eli...

I stepped out of the car and held the door open for Kendra as I stared at the cursive font written at the top of the building.

"I thought you said we were just checking out the venue today. Why are we here?" I asked.

"Cake tasting of course," Iris said walking around the car to the sidewalk.

"Did Eli and I have to be here though?" Kendra asked once out of the car.

"Why are you asking? Do you and Eli have somewhere to be?" Iris asked, brows raised.

Kendra and I groaned in annoyance, causing our friends to laugh.

"As we said at the venue, you guys are our best friends and your input is very important. Now let's get inside before you two start coming up with excuses to leave again."

Iris grabbed on to her finance's hand and went into the glass double doors, Kendra and I followed behind. The scent that hit my nose as I entered the empty bakery almost threw me off my feet.

"Man it smells good in here," I said, taking a deeper breath in.

"Yeah, smells like heaven," Kendra said closing her eyes and taking it all in,

"You guys can take a seat over there and we'll head to the back to talk to the baker. When we get back, we're going to taste some cake!" Iris grinned giddily before she and Alex headed to the back.

"At least we get to eat cake," Kendra said as we took our seat at the counter.

"That's the only good thing about today," I said, "Other than hanging out with you of course."

The corners of her lips tilted upwards before she looked down shyly.

So far, things with Kendra and I have been going well. There was a lot of texting, and falling asleep while talking on the phone. It had been a while since I've been like this with someone, and I was going to enjoy every bit of it.

"I still don't understand why we have to be here though," I said.

"Apparently this is what the best man and maid of honor are supposed to do," Kendra answered.

"I've never been married or been a best man before, but I'm pretty sure we're not needed for venue picking and cake tasting."

"Exactly," she raised her hands in agreement. "But, I think they need us here though," she said the last part hesitantly.

My brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

She looked behind the counter, making sure Alex and Iris weren't close enough to hear.

"I think Iris is having doubts about getting married."

"What?!" I whispered and leaned closer.

"She didn't say those exact words, but when she kept asking for my advice on dresses the other day and I asked her why she needed my input, she said that she needed to know that she was doing the right thing. If I'm being honest, I don't think she was talking about dresses."

I breathed a sigh of relief and Kendra seemed surprised by my reactions. Then the realization hit her.

"Has Alex been doing the same thing?" She asked.

"He's been acting weird whenever I bring up the wedding. And when someone congratulates him, he gets like this weird far off look on his face. I asked him about it, but he denied it."

"Iris too."

"Should we talk to them about this?"

"I don't know. Is it even our place to?"