Chapter 16: Secrets

Kendra...

"Only seventeen more hours before my story drops!" Iris said almost giddily as she stood in front of my desk

I was packing my things so we could leave for lunch.

"How juicy is this exposé?" I asked, wondering why she was this excited

"Girl, it's so juicy, I can't even tell you what it's about," she said smacking her lips

I giggled at her antics as I looked around for my cell phone.

"Those Hawthornes are gonna be so pissed. I can't wait!" She said with a devious look on her face

Vincent Hawthorne was one of the most respected politicians here in Washington. After serving his country in the Navy, he got married to his high school sweetheart and started his political career. He had done wonders for his constituency as Major, governor and now, senator. His name was currently one of those tossed around as a potential pick for the democratic party in the next presidential elections. But that wasn't the only thing people were talking about. Like many other politicians, this man had some skeletons in his closet. Most of them that had got out, hadn't dampened his hold on the Washington elites. But this one, according to Iris, will change everything.

Iris is a master at writing these exposés. It's kind of her thing here at Cooper's. She gained some fame from it and she was known to always have her facts straight. Always. I want to be on her level one day.

"Let's get going," I said once I found my cell phone

I saw the notification for a text from Eli but elected to ignore it. I did not want Iris using our lunch hour poking fun at me.

I got up and followed Iris to the door. But we were stopped when a blonde woman came bursting through the doors.

"I need to speak to Mr. Cooper!" She announced

I knew her, she was the mother of one of the jerks that bully my son.

"Aw shit," Iris grinned beside me

Did I mention that she was also Vincent Hawthorne's one and only daughter?

She heard Iris' comment and looked our way.

"You!" She pointed at my friend and made her way to us

"Brooke Hawthorne, how are you?" Iris smiled politely

"You better not release that article."

"What is this article you speak of?" Iris acted cluelessly

"Don't play dumb with me, you know exactly what I'm talking about!"

"Oh, you mean the one about your father and his secret dealings?" She asked

Secret dealings? Oh, this was going to be a good article.

Her botox filled face tried to make a mug, but it didn't quite get there.

"I've already handed the article over to my editor and it's been approved by my boss. It's already scheduled to be released tomorrow morning in the paper and online. There's nothing I can do at this point," Iris flaunted her fake polite voice

She was fuming, but it was kind of hard to tell. You know, because of the botox filled face.

"I swear to god if you release that article, your career in DC will be over!"

"Bring it on," Iris smiled

Iris's calmness was not making things any better for this woman.

"You will be hearing from our lawyer."