Chapter 15: Happy Thanksgiving - Part 2

Kendra...

"Yes!" came Kyle's triumphant cry from the living room, "In your face!"

He, Eli and Alex were playing video games. And from the way my son was cheering and the men groaning, it seemed like he was winning.

Things hadn't really gotten better since the game and the fight. Kyle's behavior worsened, and so did his mood. Not only was be being extra mean, but he was walking around the house sulking and moaning all day. The usual things that cheered him up didn't do so anymore. And finding out his grandmother wasn't coming for Thanksgiving didn't make things better either. I hoped that bringing him here would cheer him up a little, and at the beginning, I thought my plan was failing. But the minute Eli and Alex walked through those doors, things changed. He was laughing, being his usual smart-mouthed self. Normally, I would scold him, but now, I was just relieved that he was happy again.

"Aww, look at them," Iris said from her spot in the kitchen. She had a good view of the boys in the living room. "They really do enjoy their video games."

"They sure do," I said dumping the soapy dish into one of the double sinks. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," she said turning to me

"Why is Alex's PlayStation at your apartment already hooked up like it's been here a while?" I asked walking over to her

"Huh?" She looked away

"Don't huh me! He's been staying here hasn't he?"

"No, he hasn't!"

I folded my arms and tilted my head.

"He only spends the night sometimes," she said

"Sometimes? When was the last time he slept in his own bed?"

She looked down at her hands as she fiddled with her fingers.

"Uh, maybe two...or three...weeks."

"Three weeks?!" I asked eyes widened, "He practically living here now."

"No, he's not. He just spends the night Ok. It's not like he's paying rent."

"Well, he should be."

"Ken, calm down."

"Don't you think you guys are moving a little too fast?"

"I know it looks that way, but it doesn't feel like it. I haven't felt like this about a guy in a long time Ken."

The way her eyes softened and her voice got airy, I know she was already deep into it. It was too late, the girl was in love.

"Is Iris Flores is love?" I asked with feigned surprise and my palm over my mouth

"I...I.." she stuttered

"Oh my god, you are!"

"Shut up!" She playfully slapped my arm as she blushed

"Aw, you're blushing," I grinned

"At least I'm acknowledging my feelings, unlike some people," she teased, eyes boring into me

I walked away and headed back to the sink, "Don't even go there."

"He bought over Kyle's favorite candy Kendra. That should at least count for something."

I smiled at that. I couldn't believe he actually remembered and brought some along with him.

"That was really nice of him," I said

"Then why don't you just give him a chance?"

"I don't know if I want to get into dating right now Iris. Plus he hasn't really made a move yet."