Chapter 2

Entering the 'abandoned church' while holding hands with Simon, she noticed it wasn't abandoned at all. Simon however didn't see anything. Figuring out that this was a chance for Jace to get Michelle to let go of Simon's hand, Jace approached the pair and took Simon's hand, the one Michelle wasn't holding.

As he expected, Simon immediately let go of Michelle to try and get his hand out of his grip while saying "buddy, I don't swing that way". Suddenly Simon could see the interior of the church as well while Jace grumbled something inaudible. "Oh. Clary, did they rob a tech store?" Simon asked her.

"Okay, Clare, start explaining cause I'm freaking out here" Jace immediately went to stand next to his mate and wrapped his arm around her waist. Looking at him with a confused look, she asked "what are you doing? I don't even know you". "Sorry, babe, I'm Jace Wayland, nice to meet you" he said while letting go of her a little so she could turn toward him. "Michelle Fray. Uh thanks for saving us back there" "I'll always save you, princess". "Dude, can you stop hitting on my sister and help me explain it to her?" Clary interrupted.

Now the little sister was annoying him as well. If he wouldn't freak her out, he would've taken Michelle to his and Alec's room and kicked the other two out of the institute. But, unfortunately he couldn't do that. So instead he explained what Izzy explained earlier to Clary and Clary explained what happened to their mom and something about a mortal cup.

"Babe, do you have any idea where your mom may have hidden the cup?" "Why do you keep calling me babe? And no I don't. Clare, we have to go to Luke so he can help us find mom." Michelle responded while stepping out of his grip. "We can't go to Luke. He lied, M. He lied to us the entire time." "What do you mean?" Michelle asked while stepping a little closer to her little sister. "I heard him talking to the guy Jace killed outside, saying he was only hanging around us because he was trying to find the cup." That hit Michelle like a truck. Luke was the only father figure in her life and he played the part extremely well. The pair was really close and hearing he didn't give a shit about them, didn't fare that well with her. "I think I need some air" Michelle whispered while hurrying outside. Simon immediately tried to go after her, but Jace wouldn't let him.

"Dude, what the fuck? My friend's crying. I want to go comfort her." He said while Jace held onto his shirt, tight. "You don't need to comfort her. She got me and Alec for that. Back off if you know what's good for you." Jace snarled at the younger guy. "Jace, let him go!" Clary yelled, not having heard that he just basically threatened her best friend because of her sister.

Letting go of Simon, Jace bumped shoulders with him while rushing off towards where Michelle went. Seeing her on the steps of the institute, shivering a little, he took off his jacket and put it on her shoulders while saying "it's not safe for you out here on your own." "I'm sorry, I just needed some air." "Do you want to talk about it?" "Not really" "Well, if you do want to talk about it, you can always come to me." "Thanks, Jace. And thanks for the jacket." "No worries, babe. I'm always here for you." Not wanting to sound ungrateful she decided not to comment on what he said last but she did thought it was odd how much he seemed to care for her already and why he called her babe all the time.

"I'd feel better if we were inside, babe. I don't want you to catch a cold or get attacked by a circle member again." "I guess you're right. Here" she said while handing him his jacket back. "Keep it for now, it looks better on you anyway." He said while winking at her. Feeling her cheeks turn red, she mumbled a quick "thanks" while going back inside.

Seeing the stares of the other shadowhunters on his mate, Jace wrapped an arm around her waist again while guiding her inside and glaring at everyone.

Clary was confused. Why was Jace being so weird with her sister? And why did he threaten Simon? She didn't like it one bit and decided to try and keep Jace away from Michelle as much as she could. Seeing the pair walking towards them with Jace's arm wrapped around her sister's waist she called for Michelle. "M, you okay? Come here." She said while opening her arms for a hug. Michelle immediately went over to her little sister and hugged her tightly, much to Jace's dismay. He wanted her in his arms. But at least she was still wearing his jacket.