Chapter 12

The shadowhunters tracked down Magnus successfully and were now standing outside of an abandoned warehouse. "This is where he is hiding?" Michelle asked confused, to her he seemed to be more of a lavish kinda lair guy. "His wards are down. It was way to easy to get this close. Princess, stay close to us. Whatever you do, do not get out of our sight, alright?" Alec ordered, making her look up at him and nod quickly. "Izzy, you got Clary?" Alec asked, making his younger sister nod as well before turning towards Clary and saying the girl needed to stick with her. 

The five of them quickly split up and entered the warehouse in search of Magnus. What they encountered was worse. This place was crawling with circle members and scare warlocks in all kinds: women, men and children. Quickly finishing off a couple of circle members, Jace walked in front of his mate while Alec was keeping her safe in front of him. Hearing a child cry, Michelle broke out of their formation before rushing into a different room in search of the child. Alec and Jace weren't able to follow her immediately because they were fighting circle members again, much to their annoyance. Why couldn't she just listen to them for once?

"Leave her alone" Michelle spoke to the circle member terrifying the child. "Ah, Michelle Fray. Valentine will be pleased to see you" the man spoke, turning towards her, making Michelle signal to the child to quickly get away. "Unfortunately for him I'm not planning on seeing him" she told the circle member, getting into a fighting stance right before he attacked. She really held her own and eventually put him on his ass. The fighting lessons Jace and Alec had been giving her really paying off. She did however, get injured a bit: she had a small cut above her eyebrow as well as a superficial cut to her abdomen. That didn't stop her from picking up the small child and quickly hurrying towards a different room to avoid new circle members coming for her. 

She had found Magnus soon enough and handed the child over to him "go join the others, sweetheart" he had told her, making the child rush away but not before she turned back to Michelle to give her a big hug "go" Michelle whispered, slowly gesturing her towards a safer place. "What you did for young Zoe was brave. Not a lot of shadowhunters would've done the same" Magnus complimented her, making Michelle reply "she's just a kid. Of course I had to save her" "That's what makes you so special, Michelle Fray" Magnus told her, walking closely towards her before hearing an angry voice say "Back away from our mate, warlock". Jace. He walked straight up to Magnus to come over as threatening as possible, while Alec took a look at Michelle and scanned her for injuries while lecturing her about the importance of staying with them before noticing something. "Jace, she's hurt" he told his best friend, while seeing the two cuts. 

This made Jace snap out of it and turn towards his mate. She needed him the most. While the three of them were occupied with Michelle's wounds, Clary and Izzy had finally joined the group, making Magnus say they needed to move the lair because this one had been compromised. Saying everybody needed to hold on to something, both Alec and Jace held onto Michelle and the couch so she wouldn't get hurt more. 

"Now this was that I had in mind when picturing your lair" Michelle said, looking around in awe, making Jace and Alec a bit jealous, before they returned to the task at hand: healing their mate's injuries. "This will hurt a little, alright?" Jace said, before drawing an iratze over her cut, making it heal but making it feel as if it was burning. Alec was holding her hand and kissing her head every now and then to lessen the pain and it really did help. 

"To recover their memories, we need to summon the demon that has them. For this we need to draw a pentagon and one of you will have to sit out on this one." Magnus told the group, making Jace and Alec immediately agree that Michelle would be the one sitting this one out. "Okay, we will have to make an exchange to get the memories back." "What does the demon want?" Izzy asked Magnus, making Magnus admit that there was only one way to find out.

Michelle wasn't even in the room when everything happened since she fell asleep after her wounds had healed but as soon as she came to, she saw the sad faces of Jace and Alec stating that they weren't able to recover her memories. Something had went wrong during the ritual and they were forced to send the demon back to hell. "It's alright. I'll make new ones" Michelle assured them, softly touching both their hands "thanks for trying" she added, adding a squeeze to their hand as well, before slowly standing up and moving towards her sister "Are you alright, Clare?" "I guess I am. It just sucks we'll never get them back but at least we won't have to keep looking for them" "we have the most important ones anyhow" Michelle said, hugging the younger girl. "I love you" she told Clary, making Clary immediately say "I love you too"