Chapter 13

Returning to the institute after the long day they had, nothing could have prepared them for the arrival of Maryse Lightwood. The Lightwood matriarch was harsh but kind to her sons' mate. She did lack some tact sometime "why is she not marked yet?" she had asked Jace and Alec, making Michelle look towards the woman in great horror that she would ask such a personal question. "We haven't had that talk yet, mother" Alec gritted out, seeing how uncomfortable the question was making his mate. "Don't wait too long or it could be dangerous." was all the woman said about the subject before moving on towards a mission brief.

"Isabelle and Jace will visit Meliorn while Alec will stay here with his mate and her little sister." Maryse simply said before walking off and shrugging off Jace when he said he'd rather stay here with Michelle as well. Sighing before kissing his mate goodbye Jace said he would see her very soon before he told Alec to take good care of her. Something Alec would obviously do without Jace having to tell him.

He and Michelle had been sparring for a bit before Clary came into the room to talk to Michelle about the secret box their mother sometimes looked at while she thought the sisters were asleep. She wanted to find it in the hopes it would bring them closer to finding their mother. Alec didn't agree with this plan but was quickly distracted by someone asking something about the institute. Michelle and Clary took that chance to sneak out of the institute although Michelle was seriously doubting the plan and felt bad for Alec. The two sisters had used a glamour to walk around town unnoticed but were quickly caught by Alec who made his appearance known by wrapping his arms around Michelle's waist while she was trying to listen in on Clary's phone call.

"You can't run off like that, Princess." He said, scaring the living daylight out of her. "I'm sorry Al, I didn't want Clary to go by herself" "then you come to me and we'll figure something out, alright? I need you with me. I need to know that you are safe. If I would've marked you I would've found you ages ago." Alec said, positioning his forehead against hers, making her softly kiss him in apology. "What does marking mean?" She asked him. "The marking will bind us forever. Jace and I would draw a rune on your left ring finger and on your heart, binding you to us. While you draw one on each of us. With that rune we will always be able to find each other, feel each other's emotions and hear each other's thoughts if we want." "That sounds like a lot of commitment." Michelle said, putting some distance between her and Alec, making him assure her that they would take it at her pace. "One step at a time" he added, before leaning in for a kiss that was immediately answered.

Simon had joined the three in the meantime and lead them towards a shortcut to the Fray apartment. While there they discovered their whole place was torched and tuned and Simon could apparently see them, making Michelle and Alec look at each other in question. Hearing something from outside, he told clary and Simon to stay there before grabbing Michelle's hand and pulling her outside. Shielding her with his body he couldn't see what had made the noise before they heard Clary scream at someone to let her go. The pair only saw a car drive off but no sign of Clary and Simon anywhere, making Michelle freak out.

"We'll find them sweetheart. Don't worry" Alec told her, gently pulling her towards him and hugging her close to his body to calm her down and calling Jace.