Chapter 4

"So, where's Simon?" Clary asked when they were inside. She noticed Michelle had never moved away from Alec's hand on her back. It wasn't much, but Clary still counted it as progress.

"It was Camille's outfit, right?" Jace asked Izzy and Alec. "Yeah. They're locals. They're staying at hotel Du Mort." Izzy confirmed. "Then why are we here?" Clary asked, getting fed up. "Because, the five of us can't just declare war with the vamps." Alec stated. "But they started it by taking Simon!" Clary protests. "She's got a point, brother" Izzy says, defending Clary.

"We will need a Clave resolution for that." Alec said sternly. "What is the Clave exactly?" She asked him, looking up at him slightly because of how tall he is and how close they were still. "The Clave is like our government." Alec said, gaze softening when looking at her. Shooting him a small smile and a nod in thanks, she leaned back into his touch, still a bit tired. Without even really registering what he was doing he had leaned down and pressed a kiss to her head while pulling her closer to him than she was. And that's when Michelle was registering what happened and quickly went to stand by Clary, not noticing the hurt look on Alec's face.

Izzy didn't like it. She understood that Michelle didn't really know anything about this, but she wasn't giving them a chance at all. That's why she offered to take Michelle and Clary for some different clothes. Mostly Michelle seeing as she was still in her pj's leaving the boys to figure out a plan of attack.

"So Michelle, what do you think of my brothers?" Izzy 'subtly' asked. "I think they need to leave me alone." Michelle said. "Look, soulmates are sacred in this world and what you're doing is really hurting them." "What do you mean?" "When shadowhunters find their soulmates it usually is an instant connection. You don't want to be without the other. Especially with parabatai having the same soulmate, one is always with their mate to keep them safe. They almost constantly touch one another and the PDA is a lot. You not doing that with them is hurting them. For them the bond is really strong, especially because of their positions in our world. Alec is the head of this institute and Jace is the best shadowhunter of our generation. They feel incomplete without you and now that they found you and you refusing to acknowledge your bond it really hurts them." "I didn't mean to hurt them. It's just, a lot. 2 guys at the same time is also a bit frowned upon in the human world." "You shouldn't think about that. You should do what makes you happy. They are your soulmates! Alec and Jace would give you the world. All you have to do is let them." Izzy said her eyes softening because she also understood where you were coming from. "Enough serious talk. Let's get you a change of clothes." She added while clapping her hands.

15 minutes later, the girls were changed and at the graveyard the boys had told them to come to. Michelle was thinking about what Izzy said and decided that, after they got Simon back, she would have a talk with Jace and Alec. Izzy had given her some jeans and a cute top but no jacket and it was freezing at the graveyard where the boys had dragged them off to in search of the grave of mrs. Milligan.

Jace noticed that Michelle was freezing and wanted to offer her his jacket. He didn't want to scare her off again but he also didn't want her to freeze. His need to take care of her won from his want to avoid scaring her off so he was shrugging his jacket off and putting it over her without saying anything.

Feeling the heavy feeling of his leather jacket and the warmth it radiates, Michelle looked up at him. He avoided eye contact, afraid of rejection until he heard a quiet "Thanks" while he saw her slightly smiling while snuggling closer into his jacket. Jace puffed his chest out, proud of himself for making his soulmate warm again and making the right choice. Before he could say anything in response they heard Clary announcing that she had found the grave.

The pair were walking towards Clary when Michelle tripped over a root sprouting out of the ground. Luckily for her, Jace had caught her again. "I got you" he told her gently, while helping her up on her feet again. "Thanks" she breathed out, stuck looking into his gorgeous eyes. "We should go to Clary." Jace said with pain in his heart for interrupting their moment. Letting go of her, she almost fell again. She had twisted her ankle because of that damn root. Catching her again, he asked what was wrong. "I think I twisted it." They could fix it with an iratze but Jace didn't want to do it while they were away from Alec, just in case something or someone would sneak up to them. "Let's get you to Alec, then we can fix your ankle. I'll carry you" turning red Michelle quickly said "I can walk, it's fine." "Walking on it will only make it worse. Please let me help you babe." "Fine." She said, still blushing a little.

Jace picked her up bridle style and carried her towards the rest of the group. Alec was immediately panicking that something had happened to her as he didn't expect her to allow Jace to carry her when nothing was wrong. "What happened?! Are you alright?" He quickly asked them. "I'm fine. I just twisted my ankle. Jace said you could fix it." "Yeah, of course. Here, take a seat, princess." Jace put her down where Alec pointed to and Jace was quick to sit next to her and hold her hand if she wanted him to. "This is going to hurt a little. But after that it will feel better, okay?" Alec told/asked her. "Just do it" Michelle said.

Alec quickly drew the iratze and when it hurt, Michelle took Jace's hand in hers and squeezed it a bit while he squeezed back and whispered that it would be over soon. And it was. "Thanks Alec" she told him, stroking his arm.

It appears she was slowly starting to feel their connection, the boys couldn't help but conclude. She didn't seem to mind the nicknames and the touching. But they couldn't dwell on that. First they had to save Simon.