22. Prying Eyes

Looking back on it, I felt silly.

Words had spilt as though from the mouth of a bumbling drunk. And just like a drunk, I didn't care about it till the next day. Guilt had plagued me ever since I bastardised my only real friend back then and it continued to plague me right down to this very second.

I placed my inability to apologise to him on fear. It was a cowardly thing, but it saved me facing down the barrel of consequences.

On some strange level I didn't regret my action. Was it out of order? Sure. A product of a heated moment? Yes!

Like a worm in an apple's core the thoughts remained, feeding off the idea that I had meant what I said; that I was indeed a bad person, that I didn't regret my words. The worm in my brain crunched another slice of the apple.

For whatever reason, my mind liked to plague me with such obscene thoughts. I suppose one would call it doubts, but why did I have so many targeted towards myself? Out of everyone, you'd think you would know yourself the best...

The worm's maw continued to munch.

"I know you're involved with Figment!" Exclaimed Caylnn.

Deroc retorted, "Says who?!"

"Says me, you fuck-wit!"

Oh yeah. I'm supposed to be eavesdropping on two buffoons, both working towards the same goal mind you, but amusingly unaware of such.

It is truly astonishing how miscommunication still plagues these idiotic idiots.

I couldn't change their views of one another, mainly because their distrust worked to my benefit.

The worm in my brain continued to eat taking away any thought of selfishness upon me. It was right to do so, as by taking away such thoughts it allowed my importance to flourish.

My prying ears bloomed at the opportunity to eavesdrop.

"Even if I was involved with this 'Figment' what makes it your business?" Deroc questioned. At this point it was fairly obvious he wasn't denying his involvement. Whether it was intentional or a result of a few too many drinks was hard to decipher.

Deroc wasn't stupid, more so reckless just like Caylnn. Though his adaptability allowed for any angle to be drawn on the fly.

He was cunning, ruthless and...

Drunk. Mainly drunk at the moment. Which meant idiocy would follow suit.

For fuck sa-

"It's my business if I say it's my business!" Peeking in allowed me to see Caylnn hovering her pocketknife aggressively, an ever-present threat to Deroc's livelihood.

Yet, my cretin of a cousin didn't seem to give a shit.

"Nope."

The blade willed by Caylnn creased her opponent's skin, "Say that again, I fucking dare you."

"Nope."

The blade was pushed deeper. Easily sinking into his flesh if Caylnn wished.

Despite the threat, Deroc maintained composure, "Kill me. Do it. Kill me right here. Right here. By all means! In a house filled with people that have seen a horse-headed guy and a red hooded girl walk upstairs here. An area off limits! A lot of them just saw us and thought nothing of it 'A couple finding some 'privacy' in this hectic party,' But some of them, those who know me, will come looking." Deroc swiftly gripped the blade and Caylnn's hand in the process. He made no attempt to snatch it from her, but rather ensure the blade stayed firmly on his neck.