chapter two

a first responder's first

"Cap, I think we came in from the wrong angle!" Josephine examined the position of the ladder towards the rollercoaster cart. The 118 team were called in when a young man was thrown off during the ride, now another is hanging off. She, Bobby, and Buck were standing on the ladder while Hen and Chimney attended to the young man on the ground.

Bobby peered and sighed in agreement, "Damn, you're right Josie." He faced the blond man. "Buck, I'm gonna have you climb up and harness the man then wait for the truck to get to you. Can you handle that?"

They were working on the clock between saving the lives of the civilians petrified on the cart upside down, especially the young man literally hanging for his life. As well the pressure of the large crowds forming behind them with their phones recording. With the fact their truck positioned wrong for easy access, only made it riskier for this rescue.

Seemingly enthralled of the idea, Buck grinned. "Hell yeah! This daredevil hero stuff is what I signed up for, Bobby!"

"Good." His captain replied, however, shared a slight of concern with Josephine. Except, the two trusted Buck and the hope everything will go smoothly. They helped Buck gear up then watched him climb the ladder to the civilians in the rollercoaster cart.

Upon hearing the cries of the civilians, Buck shouted. "Everybody try to stay calm! I'm going to get you down, I promise. I going to need you relax. I need you to breathe, and keep as still as possible." He assured them before situating himself on the track of the rollercoaster.

Below them, Bobby and Josephine's eyes maintained on Buck. She blew through her lips while silently praying for everyone up there.

"Hey, what's your name man?" Buck casually asked as a protocol to comfort a frantic civilian in these life threatening situations.

Sweating from the tight grip to the bar and heaving rapidly, the man responded. "Devon!"

"Devon? All right, Devon. Well hang on, brother." Buck proceeded to take caution in his steps to reach to the young man hanging and others in the cart.

Crying out, Devon asked. "Where's Chad?" Likely referring to his friend who flung off from the ride next to him. "What happened to Chad?"

Buck called in on the radio, "Josie, he's asking about his friend."

She and Bobby attempted to peeked where Chimney and Hen attended to the fallen civilian. Pressing on the radio, Josephine spoke. "Chimney, it's Josie. Do you copy?"

"Copy, Josie. What do you need?" Chimney responded.

Her eyes remain intact on Buck and the helpless civilians on the rollercoaster. "How's the kid on the ground?" She questioned.

Both her captain and herself were doubtful that the young man survived being thrown off at the speed rate of the ride. Yet, they always try to be hopeful. "We lost him." Chimney sighed out on the radio.