chapter twenty

new pollen in the air

"Okay, you've officially reached Fort Knox-level security." Chimney pronounced to Maddie descending the staircase of her new apartment. Josephine slapped his back playfully once he stepped down the ladder. The duo along with Buck, and Eddie lend a hand to help the brunette get settle on their day off from the firehouse.

He and Josephine were working on setting up the motion sensors inside the apartment while Buck and Eddie utilized their strength to carry in the furniture.

Maddie shared a wary expression to the two, approaching them. "Oh, you think it's too much?"

"Three motion sensors in the living room?" Chimney hummed. "I mean, maybe if you're trying to keep Tom Cruise from getting his hands on your NOC list."

Josephine snorted at the perplexing look Maddie formed. "Mission: Impossible. No?" Chimney switched his gaze between both women.

"Sorry, haven't seen it." Maddie erupted a small giggle, shrugging before checking on her brother and Eddie outside with the couch.

"Not into watching Tom Cruise nor willing to binge six movies?" Josephine quipped.

Chimney narrowed a disapproving look, "Travesty."

"Oh, it's not the end of the world, Chim." Josephine dramatically replied while reaching over the iPad to finish setting up the control system. "Maybe when you show Maddie the film. She'll like you even more." She teased, noting the instant chemistry between the two.

His eyes enlarged into a bewildering look. He whipped his head at the brunette, whispering. "You think she's into me?"

She scoffed in amusement though found it adorable. "It's very transparent on both ends, Chim. She hasn't let down that smile of hers since speaking to you, and I can say the same thing about you." Her eyes lifted from the screen before nudging him.

"I'm sorry. You were showing me the security app." Maddie returned to Chimney's side after Josephine handed the iPad over to him.

He lightly scrolled through the screen, "Okay, so, basically, you can check everything on here." He paused when grunts were heard from Eddie and Buck carrying the white couch through the door frame.

Josephine darted at the duo from where she sat. "Lift with your legs, boys." She called out in a humorous matter.

"And you can also check it on your phone when you're not at home." Chimney continued to explain.

"That's great 'cause now if I hear a noise in the middle of the night, I don't have to get out of bed to know it's the ice maker." Maddie joked.

Josephine nodded her head in agreement and pointed her index finger at Maddie. "Exactly."

"Hey, thank you, guys, for helping me on your day off." Maddie shared her gratitude with the four once Eddie and Buck successfully brought the couch into the living room.