chapter twenty three

everything has changed

"Um, what are you doing here?"

Josephine widened the door for Buck to enter though confused by his sudden appearance at her place. She stalked off into her kitchen for her purse to double check everything before Mark arrives for their date.

Buck stumbled in his steps after the woman. His nerves struck more as he came to reciprocate those prolonged feelings. He clasped his hands, awkwardly. "I-I wanted to talk to you. I probably should've called since it looks like you have plans." He motioned the fitting dress which he thought looked breath taking.

She paused, taking a glimpse at her outfit. A nervous giggle left her lips, cheeks reddening. "Yeah, I have a date tonight. It's kind of a funny story actually."

"Really?" 

"We met the night we went out to that karaoke bar with Chimney and Maddie. Alexis sent him, he's a surgeon at the hospital and the one she's been trying to set me up with." She explained, laughing as she recalled that night. "We went out for drinks and kind of hit off. Possibly beats most of the dates I've recently been on."

His face faltered, only able to gasp out. "Wow."

She stared back, trying to tug a small smile. "Crazy, right? He's picking me up and taking me out to some fancy restaurant I supposed." She fiddled with her fingers. "I'm kind of nervous though. Alexis told me I shouldn't because he likes me already. It's been a while connecting with someone and I want this to go well." She omitted her fears to Buck.

Seeing the hopefulness in her eyes was clear to Buck. He was a little too late. His thoughts ran back to their previous conversation and how Josephine cared about him. Professing her feelings wasn't on her agenda because she considered his feelings and relationship at the time. It was an accident when she did it.

Here he is, unannounced at her penthouse to share his love confession to her. Blurting it out right then and now wouldn't be fair to know. More to the fact, knowing how visibly anxious she appears going on this date with the surgeon. He couldn't add weight to Josephine's stress nor take away to what could be the best date she's been on in a long time.

Because he cared for her. And their friendship meant the world, especially when they're finally getting back on good terms.

"Alexis is right, it would be crazy not to like you. I'm sure it will go well." He enveloped a genuine grin.

The sincerity in his eyes made Josephine's face to soften. She inhaled sharply, "Thanks."

The doorbell rang, the brunette instantly snatched her clutch and rushed to the front door. She drew in a breath and fixed her hair before opening the door. 

"Hi."

Mark stood on the other side of the door in a suit with a bouquet of roses in his hand. He blinked at the sight of Josephine. "Wow. You look beautiful. I-I mean, you always look great but wow. I'm a lucky guy tonight." He rambled on, utterly stunned and fighting the right words yet hoping not to sound like a fool.