chapter thirteen

walking into a new chapter

"Nana insisted to move into this penthouse instead of settling for the smaller apartments here." Josephine sauntered around the spacious penthouse where she will be moving in this week. Feeling on the brink of hesitation into this new chapter of her life- one of her own since it's always been herself and Bryan by her side.

A few weeks surpassed since Josephine and Bryan announced both the wedding and the engagement was off to their family and friends. Josephine didn't disclose about Bryan's affair although knew everyone would find out eventually. She entailed that they realized they weren't ready for a commitment- being in two different places in their lives. Some believed while others remained skeptical. There's nothing you can really hide from your family. With eager relatives phoning Josephine to spare their sympathies with the true intention for the real explanation. Josephine went M.I.A. on them for a few days like when she was younger except the police went searching for her.

"She probably feels sorry for me. Figures why she'd want to grant me this penthouse and furniture of my choice."

Vanessa walked out of the hallway, "True, but you're her favorite granddaughter that she likes to spoil rotten." She approached her sister by the large windows.

"That is an understatement," Josephine giggled. "I would think Nana favors you. You're a replica of mom basically. I was this rebellious teenage girl always causing trouble."

"Nana loves you for who you are, Josie. Plus, everyone understood why you acted that way and I feel at fault for not being good older sister to acknowledge that enough." Vanessa spared a guilt ridden expression whenever it crossed her mind.

Josephine's face falter, "Vanessa, it's not your fault. If anything, you're the best big sister any girl could ask for." She pursed her lips and lowered her gaze, momentarily. "Sure, I felt alone but you've always tried to be there for me. Even when I isolated myself at one point. That is all in the past and you're here with me today." She assured.

Vanessa tugged the corners of her lips lightly, "So, have you talked to Bryan that you're moving out? How are you two in spite of everything?" As part of her wanted to center the aggravating energy with a boost of pregnancy hormones to slap Bryan. She felt a bit betrayed of the young man she's known, at least thought wouldn't hurt her sister.

"Yeah, we have. It's weird." Josephine enlightened. "I mean, breakups aren't that great. I still love him. Is that bad?" She roughly sighed as her feelings for Bryan remained in the air.

"No, I'm sure he still loves you." Vanessa frowned and rested a comforting hand on her shoulder as they settled on the stools in the kitchen. "You two have been together for years as friends and then lovers. A lot history and emotional feelings will be difficult to let go."

Silence carried in the room for a few moments. Josephine drummed her fingers onto the white marble countertop. "You were right, by the way." Vanessa quirked her brow, having no understanding of her younger sister's statement. "You and your intuition about Bryan and I not lasting." She enthused.