chapter fifteen

a dog's best friend

"So, how do you like it here so far?" Josephine closed her book once becoming fixated on Eddie across the countertop. She watched him produce two bowls of ice cream after offering for one.

Eddie scooped the last of the caramel ice cream into the bowl, "The city or the 118? Coming from Texas to here was quite overwhelming but I don't regret it. Being welcomed by you guys has made it better." He placed two spoons in the bowls before handing one to Josephine and sitting next to her.

"Maybe that will convince my cousin to move here." She amused in a joking matter, diving the bowl for a scoop of caramel ice cream. "He lives back in Texas as well."

"Where?"

She took a bite, peering at him. "Austin. He's a cop. Of course, my favorite cousin lives far away from me. He likes Los Angeles but doesn't see himself living here as much."

"My family thought moving away from there wasn't ideal. I do miss them, yet this is what I think is best for Christopher and I." He casually mentioned his son, who Josephine became aware about from learning more about the newest recruit in previous conversations.

Josephine nodded in agreement, "Not everyone is going to agree with the decisions we make, but at the end of the day it's our life and choice. For example, my mom being against the idea of becoming a firefighter." She disclosed as she felt an instant bond and trust with the man since speaking to him.

He leaned in, compelled about that fact of the brunette. "That sounds like a story I would want to hear."

"Oh, it is. Although, we can spare that heartache of a story when you entertain me about your estranged wife living in this city?" She quirked her eyebrow. "Besides, I am a woman with some baggage."

Eddie pressed his lips into a thin line, surrendering. "All right, another time. Don't get me started with my baggage." He joked, causing them to fall into laughter.

While sitting upon a comforting silence and devouring their bowls of the slightly melting caramel ice cream, Eddie spoke up. "By the way, did I do something to upset Buck? Or is he usually like that?" He questioned the coldness from the blond-haired firefighter on a few dispatch calls.

Josephine stifled a giggle, immediately shaking her head. "I swear anyone here can tell you that he's the opposite of what you've seen so far. He's friendly and kind, though impulsive and a bit egotistic. But always has high spirits and driven on the job. Sometimes, an idiot." She pursed her lips together. "So, don't take it to heart. I think he's just adjusting to a lot of changes, and you seem to be a part of that."

"Like his girlfriend breaking up with him?" He retorted, earning a bewildering look from the brunette.

"T-They're not-" She tried to correct, though his knowing gaze caused her to refrain. Everyone in this firehouse is well aware to the fact that Abby is unlikely to come back. It's the anticipation of seeing when Buck will come to that realization of her indefinite absence means their relationship has come to an end.