chapter twenty five

miracles

miracles

The following few weeks have been eventful. Maddie's ex-husband Doug found her before she could send the divorce papers. He stalked the woman, stabbed Chimney, and then kidnapped her the night of the latter's first date. Buck was the one to discover the man bleeding out in front of the apartment complex, eventually realizing his older sister was taken. Josephine and the rest of the members of the 118 gathered in the waiting room upon the news about Chimney. While Buck and Athena worked against time tracking down Maddie and Doug. Those long dreadful hours at the hospital found its light at the end of the tunnel when Chimney made it out of surgery and Maddie was alive and safe.

A week later, Isabel gone into surgery for the brain tumor removal. Josephine reported back to the waiting room as if she hadn't left. Mark scrubbed in for that surgery, assuring his nervous girlfriend that her mother will be in good hands. The surgery had been successful when the doctor came out pronouncing to the worried family members. While Isabel remained in the hospital in recovery, everyone met Mark for the first time incidentally.

Vanessa may have two children keeping her hands tied though she caught on her little sister's new beau. Josephine forced to introduce her boyfriend to the family, practically held in her breath for their response. Considering Mark saved her mother's life, gained him brownie points and open arms to her relief.

Now, dwindled from recent events, Josephine and Mark were entangled in bed early morning. His hand continued to graze upon his girlfriend's skin as their lips moved in sync. Josephine raked her fingers into his short brunette hair, pulling him closer when his lips peppered down her jawline to the crook of her neck. Between long shifts and Josephine taking care of her mother post-surgery, the two haven't been able to see each other. Since they were in the honeymoon stage of the relationship it drove them a bit crazy.

"Can we stay here...in this position the whole day?" She mumbled out, shutting her eyes briefly when he hit her sweet spot. "I think the city can survive without us one shift."

Mark lifted his head, looking disheveled as he licked his lips. "Sounds very tempting. Unfortunately, I have two surgeries and your firehouse is already short one man. Also, don't you have a group of fifth graders coming to the firehouse?"  His hand went to brush back his girlfriend's hair, marveling at the tireless sight of her in which made him smile.

"Yes, but Bobby is the one who gives out these TED talks." She deadpanned.

"Any other day I would love to be in this bed with you."

"I sure hope so," Josephine laughed. "These last few weeks have been hectic. Sometimes I wish time could stop for moments like these." She weaved her fingers into his before staring down at them.

"Then I doubt we'll ever leave this bed," He humored, bringing their hands up and kissing the back of her hand.