chapter eight

signs of betrayal

Later that night on the double shift, Josephine, Chimney, and Bobby responded to a dispatch call at a house of a man who has fallen and presuming to have broken his back. The trio exited out of the firetruck and started to approach the walkway of the home. "Is the caller the only one in the house?" Chimney asked, carrying the medical bag. 

"As far as I know, but if not, he could be laid up- we might have to bust the door open." Bobby informed the two firefighters. "Check in there too."

Both Josephine and Chimney peeked through the window of the possibility to see the injured civilian while Bobby knocked on the front door. "LAFD, anybody home?" He called out to receive no answer, so, he proceeded to pound his fist against the door again. "Los Angeles fire department, anybody home?"

With no answer once again, Bobby peered over his shoulder gesturing the latter to bust down the door. Josephine offered, "Go ahead, Chim. I think you should the honor back on your first shift." 

Chimney grinned, "Thanks, Josie." He traveled towards the door ready to knock down the door when it opened, unveiling a blond haired woman in a silk robe. 

"Hi, can I help you?" She frantically greeted. 

Josephine nodded with a smile, "Uh, yes, man called 911 gave us this address. Said that he had fallen in some kind of distress." She explained not without noticing a man coming up behind the woman. 

He looked at her with a bewildering expression, "Man in distress?" He pressed the switch to the light in the hallway. "No, I'm the only man here. And pretty sure, I'm not distress." He affirmed to the trio. 

"And, the two of you have been home all night?" Bobby inquired. 

The woman began explaining, "I-I was. Alex-"

"I told her that I had to work on Valentine's day." The brunette haired man chuckled out. "You should've seen how pissed off she was of me. But it was all part of the plan." He endearingly narrowed at the blond.

"He came home and surprised me with flowers, and takeout from Mr. Chow's." She elaborated while Josephine shared an intriguing expression with Bobby and Chimney.

The man cut in, "Yeah, her favorite. I'm a serious romantic."

"So, you weren't expecting him home till later?" Bobby interrogated the blond woman. 

She shook her head, "Not for hours." From that emphasis, Josephine already had a gut feeling of what transpired. 

Chimney chimed in, "Uh, would you guys mind if we took a quick peek around the perimeter? It's procedure." 

"Yeah, of course. Do you want me to show you around?" The brunette man proposed. 

Bobby interjected, "No, we got it. You get back to your romance." They watched the blond posing a forceful smile with her boyfriend pressing a loving kiss onto her temple before pivoting down the steps.