chapter twenty eight

false alarm

Hello, everybody.

Thanks for spending your mornings with us today. Angelenos waking up a little bit on edge today after a second package bomb has exploded in the Southland in as many days. Now, the first victim, Miranda Filson, she's a criminal defense attorney from South Pasadena, and somehow survived the blast. The second victim, a retired insurance adjustor is clinging to life at this very hour. Now, authorities are urging the public: stay vigilant.

If you see something, say something.

Sirens nonstop blared in the streets of Los Angeles since the active serial bombings. From these alarming events transpiring with the possibility of more to come, citizens have been ringing up the 9-1-1 call center recklessly sending first responders scrambling on the field. However, when chaos ensues there'll be plenty of false alarms taking part as well.

Young children and teachers raced out of the buildings at Brookside elementary when a dispatch call sighted a red backpack oddly placed in the middle of the schoolgrounds. More specifically, no student has claimed it. A few firetrucks and ambulances rolled up with the support of the bomb squad and taskforce to remove the threat. 

The 118 firefighters ordered the students and faculty to shield behind the large vehicles while the latter set up camp and suit up to analyze the suspicious item. 

"Teacher spotted it out there after recess." Athena briefed the firefighters stationed at their vehicles after receiving intel from the leader of the taskforce. "Nobody claimed it."

Buck furrowed at the backpack from afar. "Yeah, but it's not a package. I thought this guy sent his bombs through the mail."

"Maybe he changed his M.O." Chimney suggested.

Josephine shrugged besides him, folding her arms upon her chest. "Or inspired some other crazy person." She didn't doubt there would idiotic copycats finding the thrill in these dangerous events.

The group watched closely when one of the members of the bomb squad stepped out onto the grass area in his suit. "Air 32 on TAC 1. Moving into position." He radioed in, taking slow strides towards the threat. "We have visual. Repeat, we have visual."

After discussion with his boss, they decided to detonate the bomb considering the crowd of civilians within the perimeter. The small device was placed onto the backpack before moving backwards to click on the control. "All units be advised! Fire in the hole." The taskforce leader pronounced through the radio for the first responders to order the young children and adults to duck behind the firetrucks.

Three.

Two.

One.

The lonesome red backpack to which perceived to be a threat had exploded in pieces. What deemed to be a bomb inside appeared to be something else. The bomb expert squinted behind his mask at the small splatter on the tree. "Substance appears to be some kind of...grayish paste." He squinted after swiping his glove for a closer analysis.