chapter six

on the tip of the iceberg

At the start of Josephine's shift, she sat on the bench inside the locker room hovering at the phone in her grasp rereading the message on screen. A short three letter text from Bryan that said 'I love you' in which played off a continuous loop in her head since receiving the message last night. Meaningful and reassuring as it sounds to relieve the rapid beating of her heart since they've left the conversation that way, it was difficult for Josephine to feel entirely content about it.

She knew this topic of conversation was far from over by the look in Bryan's eyes when she confessed. They were indeed heartbroken. It would be hard for the man to deny because the couple had known each other for so long like the back of their hand. Or, so they thought.

In response to his text, Josephine managed to reply 'I love you too' as she carried uncertainty typing a response. Surely, it was a small sign likely for what a storm will brew in for their relationship, or what appeared to be the end. Josephine wasn't prepared to be confronted with that part at all, losing another person she strongly loves. 

The alarm in the firehouse sounding off for a dispatch call broke Josephine from her trance. She rose onto her feet and took a deep breath before running out to meet the team at the firetruck.

"I told him a million of times, wait for everything to be shut off before you close down the place." The car wash owner entailed Josephine and the rest of the team as he guided them through the establishment. "But, does he listen? No!" He exclaimed. "He doesn't listen, you know what happens?"

Soon enough they were faced with a young man entangled in one of the large rubber mops in the car wash drive thru. "This! This is what happens." The car wash narrowed down at his employee.

"Sir, can you hear me?" Hen softly asked. She continued after receiving a response from the young man. "Anything feel broken? Uh, do you want to maybe wait until I decide if he's okay to be moved?" She flickered at Bobby who started to intervene.

Bobby paused then stepped back. "I'll be glad when Chimney gets back."

"We'll all be glad." Hen retorted.

Both Josephine and Buck shared a look from behind the latter, knowing the tension still lingered between Hen and Bobby since the dispatch call at the collapsing wedding venue.

"I'm curious how he got himself trapped." Buck whispered to Josephine, examining the scene.

Josephine quirked her brow, stifling a laugh. "Maybe the security cameras could give us the intel." She browsed around to see a few set up in the drive thru.

After reeling the employee out of the restraints of the large rubber mop and hose to carefully place him onto the stretcher into the ambulance, Hen and Bobby perked their heads up at the obnoxious rippling laughter that belonged to Josephine and Buck inside the building.