Part Six

After a few hours the party has grown, courtesy of Tony inviting some extra people to "liven it up" and I've had a few glasses of champagne which seem to be starting to affect me, courtesy of my lowered tolerance.

I decide it's time for some fresh air and sneak away from the party, snatching myself an extra glass of champagne on my way out. I head down to the lake and take off my shoes, sitting on the edge of the water and dipping my feet in.

"Had to get away huh?" I almost jump out of my skin when Bucky speaks up from the bench seat a few feet away from me.

"Oh my god, I didn't see you there." I take a moment to settle my racing heart and then answer his question, "don't get me wrong, I am loving this, I haven't had a night like this ever, but it's a lot. I spent so long isolated and away from people that it's a lot to take in."

"I get what you mean, Hydra used to use me for missions and then reset my brain and put me back in the freezer. Now I'm back to this kind of thing, it can be overwhelming."

I remember the memories that flooded my mind when I first met Bucky, the darkness, cold, and pain.

"That's awful Bucky, I'm so sorry that happened to you." I want to comfort him but I'm not sure what I could do that might help.

"I appreciate that, it's not like there's anything you could've done though. It's just sometimes hard to forget." When he says that a thought comes into my mind.

"Can I try something?" Bucky looks at me confused and I stand up,moving towards the bench and standing in front of him.

He takes a moment, staring up at me before answering, "sure..."

I place my hands on his temples and take a deep breath, it's harder to focus because of the alcohol in my system but with some extra effort I lock onto his emotions, and flood them with light, and feelings surrounding his happy memories.

When I let go and take a step back he looks up at me, and it looks like a weight has been lifted off of his shoulders.

"How did you do that?"

"Emotional manipulation, I used to use it whenever I'd make the priestess mad which was actually more often than I'd like to admit." He stands in front of me, and being in such proximity I can't help but hear his thoughts.

Do I do it? She's right there and it's just us... will it weird her out? Damn it Bucky just do it!

I'm about to reach up and just do it when I hear,

"Althea where are you?"

"It's time for cake!"

Damn my brothers.