Part Twelve

I wake again to movement underneath me, and quickly remember what happened last night, Bucky and I kissed, and then I stayed and slept in his bed for the remainder of the night. I sit up and look down to what I thought was a sleeping Bucky but I'm surprised to meet his open eyes staring back at me.

"Good morning." I say, internally groaning at my morning voice, and clear my throat.

"Good morning." Bucky smiles up at me and I feel butterflies taking off in my stomach.

"How long have you been awake?" I ask, noticing he looks much more alert than I feel.

"I'm not sure, a while. I didn't want to wake you up for a second time."

"You know I wouldn't have minded." I lay back down, my upper body on his chest so our faces are inches apart.

"Yeah but you were so peaceful."

"So you watched me sleep? Good to know the man I'm interested in is a creep."

He grins at that and replies, "so you're interested in me then?"

I slap him lightly and laugh.

"You know what I mean, and I'm pretty sure the feeling's mutual."

"Oh I don't know about that, I think you've got your wires crossed." He shakes his head at me, trying to contain his smile.

"I think you're forgetting I know exactly what you're thinking."

"Oh yeah, and what am I thinking right now?"

I don't even need to look into his mind to know.

"You're thinking that you want to do this again." I lightly press my lips to his, but pull away quickly.

"But you forgot I always go for a run first thing in the morning so you'll have to wait." I pull myself out of bed, already missing the warmth of him, and head towards the door.

He groans and rolls over in his bed, watching me as I walk towards the door.

You don't know what you're doing to me.

"Oh James, I know exactly what I'm doing." I wink at him and then walk over to my room to get changed into some workout gear.

My cheeks are flushed red and I feel on top of the world as I walk down to the track that runs around the lake, admiring the cool morning air and the dew that's settled on the grass and plants

My cheeks are flushed red and I feel on top of the world as I walk down to the track that runs around the lake, admiring the cool morning air and the dew that's settled on the grass and plants. It won't be long before there is snow covering the grounds, Natasha told me.
From what I have seen and heard, winter is a very magical time here on earth, they celebrate a holiday called Christmas, and before that when the leaves are still browning, Halloween, which is where people dress up in costumes and children go and get candy from their neighbors. For adults it's apparently just another excuse to have a party.

Halfway around the lake I hear footsteps approaching, and a familiar voice calls out.

"On your left." I laugh at Steve, knowing full well I could out race him, super speed being one of my many abilities, but I like to keep that from him, enjoying the silly happiness that comes from him lapping me multiple times on our morning runs.

"One day I'll get you Rogers!"

He laps me three more times before I finally decide that's enough and I'm ready to head back into the compound.

"Giving up so soon? That's unlike you." Steve falls into step beside me as we head inside.

"Yeah I woke up in the middle of the night so I'm a bit off my game." I leave out the part about spending most of the night with Bucky, I don't want to go broadcasting whatever it is we are to everyone. I'd like to be able to understand my feelings, and what's going on between us, before letting everyone else in on the situation.

"Something on your mind keeping you up?"

"Nothing in particular, just a restless night I think." He seems to accept this answer as we enter the compound to find some of the other early risers in the kitchen getting some coffee and breakfast.
I head upstairs and have a shower before joining them, it's quick and when I emerge I throw on some casual clothes, deciding that I might have a day off of training today.

When I get back to the kitchen everyone is packing up breakfast, so I grab myself an apple to keep me going, not bothered to do anything else.

"Hey Ally." I head over to Nat who is sitting at the dining table talking to Wanda and Bruce.

"Hey guys, what's happening over here?" I sit next to Nat, across from the others.

"Wanda is trying to convince us that going to the beach is a good idea, even though it's fall and the water will be freezing."

"I've never been to a beach on earth so unfortunately I can't contribute." They continue talking, Wanda trying to explain that one more adventure before it gets too cold, Nat's argument is that it's already too cold.

I'm quickly torn away from the discussion when Bucky makes his way downstairs, heading over to talk to Steve and Sam. He's in his usual jersey and pants, but I can't take my eyes off of him. All I've wanted to do since I left him this morning was be back in his arms, to feel his lips on mine again.

"Earth to Ally?" Natasha waves her hand in front of my face and I snap out of my thoughts.

"I think she's got something on her mind." Wanda gives me an all knowing-smile and I suddenly remember she can also read minds. Is this how it feels for everyone else? I've never had to worry about hiding my own thoughts before.

"Oh no, sorry, just a rough night." Wanda almost breaks then, I can see it in her face, but by some miracle she holds it together.

"We were just asking if you'd come with us, if we went to the beach?"

"Sure, why not."