Lead Us Not Into Temptation

Those who want power do not deserve it. And those who deserve power do not want it.― J.K. Rowling

They were bloodied and many of them were broken, but they had won. Somehow, they had gotten all the hostages out alive.

"We've got Eraser Head, Present Mic, Midnight, Hound Dog, 13, Snipe, and a man we're pretty sure is Cementoss in the medical ward," Recovery Girl reported. "They also retrieved Hawks, though he's touch and go. He's been exsanguinated so many times it's a miracle he's still breathing. And all of them have lost their quirks."

They were gathered in the cafeteria, Izuku having decided that everyone needed to rest and eat. He had a bowl of hot soup in front of him, along with a mug of coffee. Mei was pressed up next to him, humming contentedly. She hadn't been able to come, and while she'd understood why, she hadn't been happy that she'd been left behind, and that their need for radio silence meant she would be unable to act as mission control.

"Casualties?" Izuku asked, not wanting to hear the answer, but knowing he needed to.

"Togata is in critical condition, and Bakugo is in a medical coma," Recovery Girl reported. "Sato took a bad gut wound and will need to be in the hospital for at least a few days, even with that remarkable girl's help."

Eri had been a literal life saver, especially in the case of Togata. Her miraculous quirk allowed her to fully restore someone from the brink of death. However, with Togata there was a wrinkle. His body was healed, but somehow he was still weak and listless. Bakugo, on the other hand, had insisted that Eri's healing not be used on him, using only Recovery Girl's quirk. Why Izuku hadn't ascertained, but it had seemed important to his friend, so they had let it slide for now.

"And the dead?" Izuku prompted, dreading the answer.

Recovery Girl hesitated, then sighed. "Stain, as you know, is likely dead. We haven't heard from the PLF, but it's doubtful he lived when Shigaraki and All For One clearly were not killed by him."

"Good riddance," Pixie Bob muttered, tossing her head in annoyance. Burnin nodded, her own lips a thin line. Stain had decidedly not be popular with the remaining pro heroes, but Izuku had been desperate, and his gambit had paid off.

"Koda didn't make it," Recovery Girl continued. "That poison quirk that hit him worked too fast, even for me. I'm sorry, but even Eri couldn't revive him. He was brought back for a short time, but he was just a vegetable. He's dead now."

Recovery Girl continued on, two other older students had both died, as well as a minor pro who had volunteered for the mission. It was hard for Izuku to hear about them, but it was Koda's death that hit him the hardest. Koda had been quiet and distant, but Izuku had come to think of him as a friend and brother after the trials they'd endured together.

"The dead will need to be cremated," Recovery Girl said finally. "And soon. We have nowhere to store the bodies."

"I'll handle it, boss," Burnin said quietly, her expression pained. "One last service to the fallen."

"Thank you, Burnin. Please store the ashes. Have Yaoyorozu make appropriate vessels for each of them. She volunteered to do so earlier," Izuku said, rubbing his forehead. He managed to smile. "We still won, though. Thank you all."

"Take the rest of the evening off, Boss," Burnin said, nodding to Izuku. "We'll handle things for tonight."

"Thank you. We'll hold a vigil in a few hours for the fallen," Izuku said. "We have supplies for it?"