A Day of Light

76. A Day Of Light

For You have been a refuge for me,

A tower of strength against the enemy.

King David, 61st Psalm (traditional attribution)

Truth be told, Izuku hadn't attended many wedding's before, so he wasn't really sure what to expect. There had been a rather desperate scramble over the course of the evening before and this morning to make things ready, and Izuku couldn't help but feel that they weren't really quite right. But then again, everyone seemed happy, so at least that was right.

The flower bouquets for the two brides were wildflowers, gathered from the hills and valleys surrounding their mountain fastness. The guests were just a bit grungy, most of them dressed not in their finest, but whatever was cleanest and least worn. Many wore police uniforms or hero costumes, which led to an odd blend of bright and somber colors. Most were patched and repaired at this point, but everyone was putting their best face on it.

There were, of course, cakes prepared for everyone, much to Mei's unabashed delight. They were hardly uniform, but each was exquisitely decorated, Lunch Rush and his staff having slaved away until just before the afternoon ceremony to prepare them. The rest of the food was laid out in a buffet, an odd pastiche of whatever happened to be easy to prepare and set outside in the pleasant spring weather.

The only traditional part of the wedding, if it could be called that in Japan, was that they had a bonafide minister in a clerical collar and gown to officiate. Shiozaki's father turned out to be a Christian priest of the Neo-Lutheran variety, which didn't mean much to Izuku. Still, he'd been happy enough to perform the duties, relieved to be called upon to bring joy once again instead of performing rites for the dead.

The two brides were not dressed in white gowns; Hari had on a yellow sundress with a pink cherry blossom print, while Emi was wearing a borrowed sky blue evening gown. Both had their hair done up in an elaborate style with flowers mixed amongst them.

Mei, to her irritation, had been guilted into wearing a dress by her sister, and was standing beside her as her Maid of Honor. Izuku, to his embarrassment, was also in the wedding party. Though he wasn't nearly as embarrassed or flustered as Bakugo, who had been selected as the Best Man for Togata.

"You're the next bearer, Katsuki. How could I not choose you?" Togata had laughed when he'd told an astonished Bakugo.

It had taken a rather scathing look from Uraraka, but Bakugo had agreed without protest. Now both Bakugo and Izuku were dressed in their hero uniforms, with flowers pinned to their breasts, standing with Togata, who was looking increasingly nervous.

"What if she changes her mind?" Togata was whispering to Bakugo. "I mean, it was all so sudden! I think I'd die if she didn't come, Katsuki! I only asked her as a joke, what if she was joking?!"

"Jesus Christ, will you calm down? It was her idea you moron, she dropped you into this, not the other way around!" Bakugo hissed, grinning through clenched teeth as they waited beneath a trellis of vines, grown by Shiozaki of course.

"Just relax. Maybe we'll get lucky and they won't show," Mr. Aizawa said.

Togata turned to him, his face pale as his Adam's apple bopped comically when he swallowed.

"Relax kid," Present Mic whispered, his voice low and hoarse. His voice was still recovering as his quirk returned. He was dressed in a borrowed, ill-fitting suit, but he was still proud to be Aizawa's best man. "He's just kidding."