Crumbling Foundations

This document beta'd by kylekatarn77

16. Crumbling Foundations

I don't need a successor, only willing hands to accept the torch for a new generation.

-Billy Graham

The next two days continued in much the same way, though Kan varied Izuku and Shinso's training slightly. One day, they practiced how to take a fall. Another day, they practiced how to read an opponent's body language to avoid or soften a blow. Shinso started arriving just as early as Izuku to complete the training regime. It was obvious he found it incredibly punishing, and Izuku encouraged him.

"It was really hard when I started too," He told Shinso as the other boy lay on the ground, his jump rope in a tangled pile beside him. He was gasping for breath, clearly at his limit. "But it gets easier. Not...not for a long time. But it does."

"Good to hear," Shinso gasped. "I think...I think my mistake there was trying to keep up with you. Did you know you're a monster? Seriously, you look like you've got some sort of muscle quirk. It's ridiculous."

Izuku blushed. "Um, well, I mean, anyone can get to this point. It just takes hard work."

"And my dear boys, I'm so glad to hear that you're willing to put forth the effort!" a cheery voice boomed.

Izuku jumped to attention and Shinso staggered upright. "All Might!"

"Yes, it's me!" All Might laughed, his grin sparkling under the bright lights in the gym as he strode in, cape swirling behind him. "But I also brought a friend! Kan's busy today, Aizawa's not recovered yet, and as for me, well, I'm afraid that teaching has made me so busy I barely have time to work as a hero!"

All Might threw his head back and laughed. Then he planted his fists on his hips leaning forward. "But you won't be without an instructor today! Togata! Come on out!"

"They do seem like they're working hard!"

Izuku and Shinso glanced around for the source of the voice, but saw nothing.

"Down here!"

Both of them blinked, then looked down. A smiling face was peaking out of the gym floor. Izuku let out a startled squawk and jumped back, while Shinso frowned. "What are you doing down there? And who are you?"

A naked boy a few years older than then suddenly popped up out of the ground. "I'm Mirio Togata! Third year student and-whoops! Be right back!"

Without warning, the boy fell through the floor. Izuku could only stare after him, wide eyed. "I didn't know he could do that..."

"Ha ha! Togata can do a lot of things!" All Might chuckled. "But, well, he does sometimes forget how to control that quirk of his when he gets excited."

The door to the gym opened to reveal Togata, now pulling on a shirt as he hopped into his shoes. "Sorry about that! I was just so excited to meet you both, I fell right out of my clothes! I guess you could say, we 'barely' got to know one another!"

Izuku looked back and forth between All Might and Togata, who were laughing together, his mouth opened slightly in confusion. Shinso, however, was groaning and rubbing the bridge of his nose. "It's too early for puns..."

"Well you know what they say," All Might chuckled, slapping Togata on the back. "There's nothing like a good pun!"

"And that one was nothin' like one!" Togata guffawed. He and All Might shared another laugh, and Izuku managed a nervous giggle. Shinso just looked bored.