Rebuilding

Beta'd by kylekatarn77 and Poliamida

32. Rebuilding

Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

-Alfred Pennyworth, Batman Begins

True to his mother's word, Izuku's room had been set up nearly exactly how it had been at home, with shelves of circuit boards and wiring, a worktable and narrow bed, a bookshelf with textbooks and reference materials, and a small dresser for his clothes and various small knick knacks.

Inko visited for a short time, but seeing that Izuku was already exhausted, she let him be after he assured her he would be fine. He'd just sat down on his bed, realizing he had no idea how he was going to undress himself. The nurse at the hospital had helped him earlier, and Shinso had helped Izuku into his costume. He was just about to give up and lay down dressed when there was a knock at the door.

"It's open," Izuku called.

Mr. Hatsume slid the door open, looking around. He spied Izuku and smiled. "Mind if we talk for a moment, son?"

"No please, have a seat," Izuku said, trying to stand up.

"Relax son, take it easy. You still look as beat to crap as you did back in the hospital," Mr. Hatsume told him. He and the rest of the Hatsume family had visited Izuku a few times, though their visits had been necessarily brief.

"First, I can't thank you enough again for what you've done for Mei," Mr. Hatsume said, easing his bulk into the chair. He fiddled with his ball cap, looking around the small room nervously.

"I told you already, I was happy to do it. And Mr. Hatsume? It was worth it."

"I told you to call me dad or Shu," he growled, though it was a friendly tone. "Anyone who saves the life of my baby girl has more than earned that, and you've been family for a long time now son."

"Thanks...dad," Izuku said, blushing and looking down.

"You heard from Mr. Midoriya?" Shu asked quietly.

Izuku nodded. "We talked on the phone for a little bit. It was...awkward. He said if I needed anything to let him know, but..."

"But what you need is a hand, literally, and he ain't here."

Izuku could only nod, feeling his throat tighten slightly. They sat in silence for a long minute, the only sound that of Shu rubbing the fabric on his cap. At last, he spoke up again. "Look, Izuku, the truth is, I am here to offer you a hand. Whatever you need. I don't know if I can ever replace that arm you lost, but you'll be taken care of, looked after. The Hatsume family owes you a great debt."

That made Izuku smile. "I appreciate it, but I think I'll manage on my own. I um, am having some trouble with this zipper. If...if you could help me out of the costume..?"

"Oh, right, of course. Here." Gently, Mr. Hatsume helped Izuku undress, then change into more comfortable clothes. It was awkward and strange, but Izuku realized that he was going to have to learn how to operate with one hand, and that for at least a short time he'd need a lot of extra help, especially as he'd previously been right handed.

"I know it will be kinda weird, but Hari's here to help if you need it," Shu told Izuku once they'd managed to get him changed. "And Mei too. It might embarrass you, but I don't think Mei really cares one way or the other about people being naked. We had a hell of a time getting her to wear clothes when she was really little, and she kept getting in trouble in kindergarten for...well, that's a story for another time."